Wild nights below crib goch

Edit My Images
No
Shots from a couple of wild camps below crib goch, Snowdonia. Both camps were an attempt to get the last light on the crib goch ridge but both failed as the light didn't play ball. The following are morning and afternoon light by the lake by where I camped.

crib_crop1.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_6778.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

Last edited:
Damn - you don't know what shots like that do for a person cooped up in grimy London! (y)

These actually made me go "ooohh" out loud. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Andy

Thanks a lot guys your comments are really appreciated :D

Some of these are really nice!

No 4 is fantastic! 2 & 3 I really like as well.

It's a pity about the shadow in 1 & 5....

Llyn Glas isn't it? Its a great spot but a bit of a trek to get there.:)

I am suprised you mention the shadow as a bad thing? These were taken because of the shadow for two reasons. One that it adds dark and light contrast to the whole scene and two that had the water not been in shadow you would not have got the strong green reflections which for me is a pleasent effect. Had the whole scenes been in direct light they would have flat and boring and for me not be worthy of an image.

Yes this is Llyn Glas. Have to say it's one of the most beautiful spots I have seen in Snowdonia and very photogenic. I have wild camped by it a couple of times now and done two different approches. One from one of the car parks in the pass directly north of crib goch and one from pen-y-pass car park cutting across the north east face of crib goch. Both were quite scrambly and airy which is quite unnerving with a (tent,camera and camping gear) heavy pack on your back which makes you rather unbalanced.

Thanks a lot guys your comments are really appreciated :D

I am suprised you mention the shadow as a bad thing? These were taken because of the shadow for two reasons. One that it adds dark and light contrast to the whole scene and two that had the water not been in shadow you would not have got the strong green reflections which for me is a pleasent effect. Had the whole scenes been in direct light they would have flat and boring and for me not be worthy of an image.

Yes this is Llyn Glas. Have to say it's one of the most beautiful spots I have seen in Snowdonia and very photogenic. I have wild camped by it a couple of times now and done two different approches. One from one of the car parks in the pass directly north of crib goch and one from pen-y-pass car park cutting across the north east face of crib goch. Both were quite scrambly and airy which is quite unnerving with a (tent,camera and camping gear) heavy pack on your back which makes you rather unbalanced.

The shadow annoys me because it cuts the island in two. It's fine in no 3 somehow because it doesn't break anything up.

I know that track across the northeast face of Crib Goch. Hardly a track really! But passable. Have been to Llyn Glas a couple of times but not at the right time of day I don't think. Anyway, didn't come back with any decent pics.

Bit of a scramble down to the Pass from there as well, if I remember correctly.:)

It must be a brilliant place to wild camp.

Wow, these are great.. the sort of images I wish I could take. #1 and #3 for me, love the way the lighting on the first gives a really dark area at the top.

The light in these are just terrific. 2 is my favorite out of them all, its the water ripples and the trees that stand out in it for me. Really well done(y)

I love no 4 but no 5 looks like it's got a really bad green cast to me.

Thanks again guys :D

All good, but No3 is my pick, the aggressive colours really work well-intelligent use of strong light, providing an excellent depth, with the tones and textures contrasting and complementing each other.

Does it need a slight cw rotation? (looking at the water line)-although I realise it may be correct.

Your obviously very talented!

I'm climbing there next week, just crossing my fingers that the weather isnt too bad!

Thanks very much everyone I really appreciate the very kind comments :D

All good, but No3 is my pick, the aggressive colours really work well-intelligent use of strong light, providing an excellent depth, with the tones and textures contrasting and complementing each other.

Does it need a slight cw rotation? (looking at the water line)-although I realise it may be correct.

You know I didn't notice that slant on the waterline. Because it doesn't stand out I must have leveled on the ridge top instead as I must have while taking it. Now I am wondering which is most important. If while straighting the water line and slanting the top will it gain a sence on "rolling out" of the top of the image?.....we shall see ;)

Your obviously very talented!

I'm climbing there next week, just crossing my fingers that the weather isnt too bad!

Thanks very much :)

Glad you going up and hope you have some good weather! I am waiting for some fallen snow and good weather now as my wild camping season is over :(

Siejones amazing pictures :) I am very impressed!
Can I find anywhere calendars or cards with these images?

Wow, fantastic. Beautiful colours, amazing light.

What are your lens do you tend to use for your landscapes?

Thanks very much guys your very kind :)

Siejones amazing pictures :) I am very impressed!
Can I find anywhere calendars or cards with these images?

Cheers :) I haven't even considered thoses kind of avenues to be honest. I always wanted something to remember my days in the mountains that I can look back at when I am too old and I just want them to be the best I can achieve.

Amazing shots, great colours & light!!
Superb.

Can you camp anywhere or do you need permission first?

Regards Spence

I think the general rule is you can wild camp if it's above 300m or roughly 1200ft ASL. I don't think there are any strict rules & regs but guidelines so you don't mess off other walkers or land owners. Generally this means leaviing your chosen spot so that no one would have ever known you were there. I personnaly have a pet hate for litter bugs on the mountains and can't stand to see bottles or wrappers e.t.c there is no need for it but I won't get started on that ;)

If too many people started to do it then I think they would not be so lapse or even put a stop to it. It's not to be underestimated though it's a tough slog up with a heavy pack (especially with camera gear in) sleeping on tough ground and in possible extreme weather conditions. I have spent a few sleepless night due to wind alone. On the other had on a good weather day it's something I believe everyone must experiance at least once in their lives as it is stunningly beautiful as the sun goes down and arises. You feel extremely priviliged to be there and if you are on your own a sometimes emotional experiance. That's why I crave my next wild camp ;)

Wow, fantastic. Beautiful colours, amazing light.

What are your lens do you tend to use for your landscapes?

These days I use a 24-105 F4,17-40 F4 and a 70-200 F4 on a 5D. Before that on my crop I used the 17-40, Sigma 10-20 as my superwide.

Last edited:
Totally just went open mouthed when saw these and well done you for getting there to take them :) and NO Edingary im too old to go mountain climbing :p

Just thought I'd add my :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't offer any comment, other than a cracking set.

Thanks again guys...very kind words again..thank you :D

Thanks very much guys your very kind :)

Cheers :) I haven't even considered thoses kind of avenues to be honest. I always wanted something to remember my days in the mountains that I can look back at when I am too old and I just want them to be the best I can achieve.

Siejones have a look at www.fileprint.org
You can get great, professional prints in amount you need. Calendar and greeting card templates available.

I am personally very impressed with your photographs and with pleasure would hang a calendar with your images on a wall. Please let me know when and where I will be able to purchase one :)

Regards,
Olga

Back