Wildlife, Brandon Marsh - Canon 400mm + 2x + 1.4x @ 1120mm (1456mm effective)

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Canon 400mm + 2x + 1.4x @ 1120mm (1456mm effective)

F70F9951.jpg

F70F9885.jpg

F70F0067copy.jpg

F70F0061.jpg

F70F0058.jpg

Last edited:
And a, what I think it is!, buzzard.
Very heavy crop so not sharp but I include it as it is the first one I took.

F70F0017.jpg

This 100% crop can show the sharpness even with both teleconverters. Print quality is even better as noise is not visible on the print.

F70F9885fullcrop.jpg

Last edited:
Remarkable shots given the teleconverter stacking.
I am now tempted to stack my 1.4 & 1.7 TC's to see the result.

Like 2 & 3 and 5 is good with the T/C's.

Very good with stacked tc's - I notice the EXIF has picked up both converters, whenever I shoot with stacked 2x and 1.4x the camera only ever picks up the 2x tc - strange !!!

Very good with stacked tc's - I notice the EXIF has picked up both converters, whenever I shoot with stacked 2x and 1.4x the camera only ever picks up the 2x tc - strange !!!

Depends which TC's you use.

When I used the Canon 2x and 1.4x TC's it reported 800mm

With the Kenko 2x DG and 1.4x DGX it picks up both (1120mm)
Also it AF's faster and more precisely and the exposure compensation is more correct!

Try the Kenko's if you get the chance. I found them to be sharper than the Canon's I had before.
I had Kenko pro's as they worked better when taped with my 400/5.6. when I first got the 300/2.8 I got rid of them as I did not think they were as good as the Canon's - mind you I was using a 40D at the time and only use a 7D now.

Forgetting the hugely shrunken images for a forum.

If you printed any of them at 20" x30", what would they look like?

I print then on A4 and some cases A3 and enter them in competitions so I would say they print rather well. A few also hang on the wall in my and friends houses.

Forgetting the hugely shrunken images for a forum.

If you printed any of them at 20" x30", what would they look like?

This 100% crop can show the sharpness even with both teleconverters. Print quality is even better as noise is not visible on the print.

This was at ISO 1600 and I also underexposed the shot so I had to bump it up (more than 1 stop) and introduce even more noise.
If the exposure was ideal this would have been even better.

F70F9885fullcrop.jpg

Last edited:

This was at ISO 1600 and I also underexposed the shot so I had to bump it up (more than 1 stop) and introduce even more noise.
If the exposure was ideal this would have been even better.

I often wonder about images taken with stacked tc`c, shrinking for forum use can hide a multitude of sins, but if you say they print out at size to a good standard then fair enough....(y)

Back