Wildlife focusing

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Having severe frustrations with this and wondered how people focus on moving subjects. Even the slowest swan I struggle to get right !
Having done some test shots, some of the issue seems to be my 50-200 "kit" lens, at 200mm is is not very sharp.
I cannot afford a decent fast 200mm so was considering an old manual focus lens (K mount pentax).
My concern is that I will never get a sharp shot with this either as by the time a get the focus right the subject will have moved. Can somone putmy mind at rest and give me some pointers, do you pre-focus on a spot then waith for the subject to come to you ?
So many great bird shots on here, pin sharp while flying at high speed, I would be happy with a sharp swan serenly floating past !

sounds like a dilemma we all have birds and babies

my take is you just have to be lucky and set your focus and do some multi frame shots as you pan

cheers from a fellow scot

Thanks guys, will keep at it. Thanks for the chest tip, definately easier than the eye !

I find it easier to set the camera to a single focus point rather than use all focus points available as well, that way you know that what ever you are pointing at will be in focus rather than letting the camera decide what should be in focus...

I tend to do single point too, on the Nikon i can change that point, so if the swan is swimming left to right i can have the focus point on the right so i have less empty frame too.

Again, thanks. I have been tring centre weighted but will now switch to single point. Unfortunately non slectable on my Km so all my compositions will be pretty fixed. The Kx at work has selectable focus points so maybe I just need to start bringing it home :)

After some trial and error (and using spot focus, thanks) I have now just about sussed out that bringing the lens back to about 150mm makes it much sharper ...
4754426602_31fa3e3afa.jpg

the concern at 200mm ...
4728089927_914942e62d.jpg

I now have taken posession of an old M200 F4.0 so some trials to follow with that lans but initially it feels such a well engineered and solid lens compared to my DAL 55-200.

Would you agree with my summation ?

The budget zooms *hardly* ever perform well at the extremities in my experience. So yes, I think you are correct in assuming your zoom will be better when pulled back from the long end.

* Just my experience, though i`m sure some will differ.

May I suggest going to a zoo or wildlife park and practice there. Its a great chance to work on your chosen subject matter without having to worry about that " only once " chance to capture birds/animals in the countryside. At least then you know what your and your camera/lens can achieve.

Realspeed

May I suggest going to a zoo or wildlife park and practice there. Its a great chance to work on your chosen subject matter without having to worry about that " only once " chance to capture birds/animals in the countryside. At least then you know what your and your camera/lens can achieve.

Realspeed

I am a frequent visitor to the zoo, does make it a bit easier. I had not questioned my kit previously, just assumed it was me !
I am going to set up the tripod at some flowers then run more controlled tests on my lenses then I will know how far I can push each one.

Stick the K-m in AF.S and centre spot focus.
Try and pick your subject up while its a bit away from you and pan with the camera while keeping the bird in the centre of the viewfinder.

Takes a bit of practice, seagulls are good for that but its a great feeling when you get it right.

Done with my Pentax K10D and a 300mm f4.5

Thanks for advice Mike, some lovely shots on your Flickr.
Very jealous of your glass collection :crying:

Wildlife photography, probably the hardest most frustrating photographic discipline. Like everything else, remember if you're not making mistakes you're not learning. Keep taking photographs....all the time...really look at the results and analyse them and keep going back for more. I think wildlife photographers have to be a bit like punch drunk boxers, almost too stupid to stop doing it.

plough through the days when you come back. upload the images and delete every one....

..or is it only me that has those days.

Wildlife photography, probably the hardest most frustrating photographic discipline. Like everything else, remember if you're not making mistakes you're not learning. Keep taking photographs....all the time...really look at the results and analyse them and keep going back for more. I think wildlife photographers have to be a bit like punch drunk boxers, almost too stupid to stop doing it.

plough through the days when you come back. upload the images and delete every one....

..or is it only me that has those days.

LMAO, love the analogy, thought it was just me. The amount of pin sharp excellence that is posted on here I assumed every shutter for you guys was a keeper !

Back