Wildlife holidays

Edit My Images
No
Looking to plan a couple of holidays in the UK for this year (Easter and Summer) and was looking for some ideas.

Went to Mull for a week last year and haven't ruled out going back. Also possibly Skye or Uist.

Was thinking of maybe going to Bamff for the beavers. Possibly tie it in with some ospreys if the time of year is right.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers Lee

Yeah thanks Gav.

I'm located in the North East, so the Farnes has been done.

Was thinking of Skomer after seeing it on Springwatch, but wasn't sure if it would be too much like the Farnes.

I would not rule out a trip to the Isle of Colonsay, It's an absolute gem of a place, Otter and Seals and great birdlife along the cliffs on the west side.

Well if your coming to pembrokeshire to go to skomer then you could consider the red kites at Nant y Arian and Rhayader. There are also Grassholm for the gannets. Several other sites where hares and otters are regularly seen in Wales.

I would not rule out a trip to the Isle of Colonsay, It's an absolute gem of a place, Otter and Seals and great birdlife along the cliffs on the west side.

Cheers, I'll have a look into it. (y)

Well if your coming to pembrokeshire to go to skomer then you could consider the red kites at Nant y Arian and Rhayader. There are also Grassholm for the gannets. Several other sites where hares and otters are regularly seen in Wales.

Added to the list Gaz. (y)

YOUR woodland Will. Don't tell me you've became a landowner as well now!! :D

I went through to photograph the reds up in Northumberland last week and it looks like the greys have moved in and wiped them out. :(

Bigvin said:
YOUR woodland Will. Don't tell me you've became a landowner as well now!! :D

I went through to photograph the reds up in Northumberland last week and it looks like the greys have moved in and wiped them out. :(

Haha ;) actually going to propose buying it as it is unusable for farming or building! Should be relatively cheap :p

More reason to come be my first customer!!!

How about the Shetlands, great birdlife and the largest population of Otters. I amheading up there in May/June

All good suggestions here; couple of others

Islay. It is a bird watcher's paradise and if the weather turns really bad it has other attractions - Ardbeg, Laphroaig, etc

If you are willing to travel around an area you could try being based somewhere close to Inverness. That would put you in easy reach of

Ospreys at Loch Garten,
divers and grebes at Loch Ruthven, and
dolphins at Chanonry Point on the the Black Isle.

There are boat trips in the Moray Firth but a long day out would take you to the west coast. I know Gairloch well and boats from there regularly have good sightings; there are also trips from Ullapool. Both are a fair distance from Inverness, 71 and 58 miles respectively, but the roads are good and the scenery is spectacular.

Dave

Back