Wildlife in action

As said in the article, its not an unusual site.
I've seen Herons swallow moorhens, and they love to steal other water birds chicks.

But the article says "An RSPB spokesman said: "It is almost unheard of for a pelican to eat a bird. Their diet should be strictly fish." lol

That's quite an amazing image though. Shame the BBC now have their copyright claws into it though.
That aside, if I had taken that, I would be quite pleased with it. The pigeon looks almost happy to be sat there. I bet it certainly wasn't about 1/500th of a second later :D

The pigeon had probably crapped on it earlier :)

No idea if the video is the same incident as reported by the BBC. It could well be as the voices heard in the video are definitely British.

Notice the way the pelican was pointing it's beak downwards quite a lot? I bet that's to allow the pigeon to orientate itself so the pelican can swallow it head first. Now, that's gotta be a trick that the pelican has learned through the ages... it must be quite a regular occurance, just no one witnessed it!

Conspiracy theory #1:

Its all part of a cunning Russian delayed action plan. First the pelicans, imported by the Rusky's get a taste for pigeons. Then after a while they start gobbling up the young babies being taken for a walk in the park. In a couple of hundred years the population will have declined sufficiently for them (the Rusky's) to invade the UK with minimal opposition :help:

Well, I have been playing with a lot of chemicals tonight :puke: :eek: :wacky:

Shame the BBC now have their copyright claws into it though.
indeed, i believe the shot is by a press 'tog too...

perhaps this is a novel way of removing masses of pigeons from london? would help the population of pelicans no doubt...

Back