South-West England Wildlife Photography Hides

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
No
I am looking for recommendations for wildlife photography hides for hire.
The kids have come up with the idea of clubbing together for a father's day and birthday present of a days hide photography.
It has to be better than socks pants and chocolate etc so I am onto a winner.
Most subjects considered.
Ideally within 2 hour travel of Bristol/Newport. So a fair area of the country. South West/Midlands/Wales etc
Thanks in advance.
Kev

I am looking for recommendations for wildlife photography hides for hire.
The kids have come up with the idea of clubbing together for a father's day and birthday present of a days hide photography.
It has to be better than socks pants and chocolate etc so I am onto a winner.
Most subjects considered.
Ideally within 2 hour travel of Bristol/Newport. So a fair area of the country. South West/Midlands/Wales etc
Thanks in advance.
Kev

This one- https://www.deanmasonwildlifephotography.co.uk/

Dean is a good friend of mine, Mention Les Moxon when you contact him, his has one of the bests hides in the UK

Les :)

@Conker I can second what @Lez325 says. I have been I think it is now three times and was due to go again but then Covid-19 struck.

Summary:-
Nice guy and very knowledgeable & hospitable
Great setup
Good range of birds.......and would highly recommend his "combined day" that includes the Harvest Mice ~ IMO cute seems too inadequate to describe them, sometimes rather than shooting away I would just watch them :D

One option would be the Red Kite at Rhayader. Several hide types available and cheaper than your usual photography hides.

My friends and I were at one point thinking of a day at the West Country Wildlife Photography Centre, though I think that needs a small group.

Last edited:
One option would be the Red Kite at Rhayader. Several hide types available and cheaper than your usual photography hides.

My friends and I were at one point thinking of a day at the West Country Wildlife Photography Centre, though I think that needs a small group.
You will find going another 15 miles on that nant-y-Arian is a far better AND cheaper alternative only having to pay for parking ,between £2 to £5 depending on length of stay

He is, I haven't gone this year thanks to the damned virus but Colin has a number of hides in his woodland garden, plus a reflection pool.

Just drop him a line by email, either he or Suzy will respond - I know them both well, lovely people. Netherbury is a nice setting too..

I've taken some photos that are on my Flickr feed there, please check them out (see below).

He is, I haven't gone this year thanks to the damned virus but Colin has a number of hides in his woodland garden, plus a reflection pool.

Just drop him a line by email, either he or Suzy will respond - I know them both well, lovely people. Netherbury is a nice setting too..

I've taken some photos that are on my Flickr feed there, please check them out (see below).

Thank you Peter- just seems a little strange that there are no updates or anything since 2017 :)

I will drop him an e mail - I usually pay over £100 a day for some hides with reflection pools etc - lets hope he comes up with a good price

Thank you Peter- just seems a little strange that there are no updates or anything since 2017 :)

I will drop him an e mail - I usually pay over £100 a day for some hides with reflection pools etc - lets hope he comes up with a good price

I also thought it odd that his personal website was so out of date.

His location is not too far for a day visit and I would welcome knowing what you find out?

I'm looking at doing one of his workshops.

I have known Dean for a good few years- a very knowledgeable man and a brilliant Photographer -His workshops are
easy to follow and you'll have fun - enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I travelled from Ireland to Dean Masons hides two years ago. Dean is one sound bloke and his attention to his customers is second to none. He has thought of everything to make tour day comfortable. I may have picked the wrong time of the year for certain species (bull finches),but the amount of birds coming into feed was brilliant, I also spent half a day with the Harvest mice, again well wirth the trip.

Did you ever hear anything back? His FB page was busy until about 2 months ago....so I am wondering he is ok...

As for Dean, what's his location? not easy to tell from his website?

Dean's location is not public, it is reached by entering private land. On his website he states the meeting point and he leads you to it ;)

Did you ever hear anything back? His FB page was busy until about 2 months ago....so I am wondering he is ok...

As for Dean, what's his location? not easy to tell from his website?

No I never had a reply :(

As for Dean his meeting point is a Pub some 2 mile from the private land, I booked a session (all day) on September 7th, his only available date until October, he's fully booked up till then

I've got a sneaky sneaky feeling where that might be, so Dean seems to be in demand, I think I will look into booking a day with him.

Puzzled about Colin, I am just wondering if he is ok.

No I never had a reply :(

As for Dean his meeting point is a Pub some 2 mile from the private land, I booked a session (all day) on September 7th, his only available date until October, he's fully booked up till then

Ah! for a couple of reasons I had to postpone late last year & early this year pre-covid.....will have to think on options (the distance means we stay a few nights in the area) and get in touch with him.

Im lucky enough to be close enough to do it in one day :)

For sure you are :)

On the other hand our journey time can be up to 3 hours :(

PS in the past we have combined with visiting the Reds on Brownsea :D

Its around 1.45 mins for me- I also do Brownsea Island, not sure if the ferry is running thought :(

3 hours is a long drive - but if you stay over its not that bad ,I have stayed at the Premier Inn in Poole as and when I do both venues

I planned visiting Swanage Pier for that long exposure shot,when I went out there,it was closed for renovations..Ran out of time for a visit to Brownsea.

I planned visiting Swanage Pier for that long exposure shot,when I went out there,it was closed for renovations..Ran out of time for a visit to Brownsea.

Brownsea is a must in my book - Red Squirrels abound lol :)

Hi All,

Looking for hides accessible from South Oxfordshire.. this website mentioned above, seems no longer active: https://www.deanmasonwildlifephotography.co.uk/
Could anyone confirm status of the hide?

thx
This is Dean's site and I can highly recommend him

HTH :)

PS I have never been (still want to sometime???) but how about South Somerset.....should actually be as reachable as Dean's from South Oxfordshire???

Last edited:
Slimbridge Wildlife Trust is not that far from you. I don't know if they actually do hide days but you could always ask.

Slimbridge

Has anybody that has contacted www.windowsonwildlife.co.uk recently got a reply to their message?
Have e-mailed twice but both have gone unanswered.
OK so there is a phone number but it does annoy me when e-mails just seem to be ignored.
I learned that unfortunately Dean is none too well, not COVID but is in hospital.

There is a FB group and his wife has been making a few posts to explain to fellow FB'ers who post in/on the WoW group.

I'll post a link to the FB page shortly but it does sound like Dean won't be back in the saddle for a while :(

Edit
You need to scroll down to her 6th January post to see her most recent post about his condition

Last edited:
I learned that unfortunately Dean is none too well, not COVID but is in hospital.

There is a FB group and his wife has been making a few posts to explain to fellow FB'ers who post in/on the WoW group.

I'll post a link to the FB page shortly but it does sound like Dean won't be back in the saddle for a while :(

Edit
You need to scroll down to her 6th January post to see her most recent post about his condition
Ah that's terrible news - puts my frustration into the proper perspective.
I will keep my eye on the FB group.
Wishing Dean a speedy recovery.

Back