Wildlife trail camera recommendations

Edit My Images
No
Hi , sorry if this has been asked , I am not the best at searches , but it`s likely worth updating if it has been asked . I am hoping someone can recommend a good Wildlife trail camera , Mine is getting dated . I suppose the main things are quality of footage / photos . Mine doesn't have a built in viewing screen either , a lot seem to suffer lag on starting video too , according to Amazon reviews . I am getting a visiting Hedgehog regular which I feed Cat food , and tonight a young Fox showed up . Be nice to get some decent footage of them .

Have a look at Browning trailcams from Naturespy.

Another vote for Browning cameras.

Dave

I got 1 of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194293401053
about a year ago can't fault it.
it has a screen for viewing / settings etc but you can also connect through your phone to view via wifi,
and it's a solar battery , with 3 aa's as a backup , i've charged the battery 3 times in 12 months
which has been a god send to be honest the camera i had before this ,
i would need to change the batteries weekly.

just a quick PS
the infa red lights are red and noticable (not bright but) you couldn't leave it somewhere
and be sure no-one wouldn't notice it
obviously fine in your garden.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking time to recommend , they are all at the top end of what I wanted to pay , but I do believe you get what you pay for , I will save up a bit more and consider further .

GardePro

I bought one of these in November 2021, it has lasted well, it works, it's quick to start, easy to set and most of all, it is reliable. On a set of [rechargeable] batteries, I have left it in situ for two weeks and still plenty of battery left with, say, 50 activations. Obviously the more activations the less time the battery will last but it does seem to last a very long time.

If there is a downside, it is that when I take the batteries out to recharge them, even if I replace a new set immediately, the date has to be reset, but it only takes a minute so it's not really a problem.

Further to a post above, the infrared lights cannot be seen by human eyes so it can be left without prying eyes noticing it.

Hi Martin , I had a look at some of the footage on those cameras , some looks a bit poor quality in the night video , the main thing I want it for , how does yours fair ?

I suppose it's not great but then the camera isn't that expensive.

I've put this on Youtube temporarily and I'll take it down in a few days.

Night fox

Here is a heron in the daylight

Heron circling my pond

Last edited:
Thanks Martin , that will help me make decision . I guess we never going to get professional looking footage from these cameras yet . The daylight Heron looks pretty good , apart from the burn out in bright light they probably all suffer this , bit hard to really judge the fox , he was at a distance and off pretty quickly . :) Thanks again for putting those up .

Have a look at this extended footage of a family of Badgers visiting during the night - this was taken with the Browning Trailcam...

Certainly better night quality than mine, makes me quite envious. So there you go Lepus, looks like you need a Browning camera.

Thanks Gramps , yes definitely a noticeable increase in quality . Which model is this please ?

Thanks Gramps , yes definitely a noticeable increase in quality . Which model is this please ?
Mine was this one, which is 4K video...

However there is a cheaper 1080p version...

Well, as with most things, you get what you pay for. Gramps Browning Force Edge 4K is roughly £280, the 1080p is about £140 and mine costs £54; as they say, you pays your money... But then they also say 'buy cheap, buy twice'. Life's choices are never easy :(

Well, as with most things, you get what you pay for. Gramps Browning Force Edge 4K is roughly £280 £230, the 1080p is about £140 and mine costs £54; as they say, you pays your money... But then they also say 'buy cheap, buy twice'. Life's choices are never easy :(
I bought a cheaper Bushnell and an Apeman and they were simply not up to scratch ... okay if you just wanted to know what was out there but no good at all for having footage to use and keep.

I bought a cheaper Bushnell and an Apeman and they were simply not up to scratch ... okay if you just wanted to know what was out there but no good at all for having footage to use and keep.

That's what I got mine for. I've videoed rats in the loft and in an outhouse (both groups gone now), I've used it to check for hedgehog activity and foxes in the garden, and during the day, I used it to see if my heron defences were up to scratch around the pond. It did for me but as you say, if one wants to keep the footage, definitely better to pay for a better one.

I have gone for a Browning 1080p version , I will try and remember to give an opinion once tried and tested . Thanks all .

Last edited:
Back