Will a Canon flash work on a Nikon Body? (plus other 400d/d80 questions!)

M

morgan

Hi all

Been a loooong time since I was here (or near a camera too!)

Was a 5D man with lots of toys, sold it all due to work commitiments but now I want to trade my g9 for a dslr again.

I am split between the 400d/Tamron 17-50 combo or the Nikon D80 with 18-70/18-135 kit combo.

one thing i didnt sell from my old canon stuff is my 580Ex flash (which I love). Would this flash work with the d80?

I am split between the two options, at the moment I'm thinking d80 due to brighter viewfinder but is the kit lens options any good - I know the tamron 17-50 2.8 is very god indeed..

Any advice would be great...

I think it might flash but ETTL won't work, and certainly won't be auto. In full manul it should work.

just seen prices of the nikon flashes....much cheaper than the canon equivilents. If I am right in thinking the sb-800 is the top nikon flash (equiv to my 580ex). I can sell the 580ex for just under £200 - the sb-800 is avalialable for £190 new from HK...

I thought they had different pin arrangements. I doubt it would work.

I thought that too. But you might be able to use it off camera as a second flash.
But as the OP said, the SB800 is reasonably priced and the best flash available.

I wouldn't ever put a non-OEM flash on any of my Nikons - too much risk of permanent damage. Kerso on here supplied my last SB800 for £203 delivered - ace piece of kit.

Same here - I use a SB600, ive heard that its actually better in some areas than the SB800 - I.e faster recycling time and more powerful, having never used one i cant confirm that!

If you go with the D80, id say get the 18-70, both me and theory got our D80's with the 18-135 and i have to say its a bit on the pants side, Not particually sharp and zero character, i sold mine and replaced it with the Sigma 24-70 which i :love:

Back