Will a telephoto converter work with a D40 body.

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

This question has just been asked on another forum, on which I am a member.

I personally can't see any reason why not, and as far as I know, nobody has ever commented on the fact that it can't be done. Does anybody know??

Thanks.

Yes fine, no different to any other Nikon body.

Hi,

I agree, and that's what I have said. The issue was that the D40 had no built in AF motor.

Hi,

This question has just been asked on another forum, on which I am a member.

I personally can't see any reason why not, and as far as I know, nobody has ever commented on the fact that it can't be done. Does anybody know??

Thanks.

The problem is not with the TC, its with the lens. As with canon the lens + TC will autofocus upto max ap of f5.6, after that its manual focus. Not really up to speed on nikon lenses, but I don't think the lenses with built in focus motors work with the TC. TC's are really designed for the fast prime lenses like nikon 300mm f2.8 and pro bodies, although they are used on the faster zoom lenses as well and most of them require focus motor built into the body not the lens, so the D40 may only manual focus certain lenses. Personally a faw with this design of camera.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=79729

The following common lenses cannot be used with an autofocus teleconverter, this is not a complete list:

17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX
18-55 f3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
18-70 f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR DX
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX
Any 70-300mm lens
24-120 f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR
80-400 f4.5-5.6D ED AF VR
18-135 f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX

Peter

According to a post on Fred Miranda, the 80-400 will AF with a Kenko Pro300 1.4x although obviously you need a lot of light.

I some how doubt it because the TC will take the max ap beyond f5.6 when attached, unless they have masked the contacts in some way and you don't what to be doing that because you'll damage the lens. Also 80-400 won't autofocus on D40 because it doesn't have a focus motor built into the lens. So who ever said that on FM is :wacky:

Looks like back to the D50/70/200 idea, Doug....

Have a look at the D80, fantastic camera, prices will be coming down because of the D90 and the body has a built in focus motor, so larger choice of lenses to choose from. Have never really understood why Nikon introduced the D40/50/60 range without focus motors unless to cut costs or make people buy a new series of lenses especially designed for those camera. Makes them abit limited at the moment interms of fast zooms and primes.

Peter

I have a 70-300 VR Nikkor and it DOES WORK WITH A TELECONVERTER (as does the 18-70 kit lens). NOT with a Nikkor telecon (IIRC, it won't physically fit since the "front" element of the telecon intrudes into the back of the lens) but certainly with a Kenko Teleplus 1.5x converter. FWIW, my Sigma 170-500 will also autofocus with the teleconverter fitted, despite the combination having an effective aperture way slower than f/5.6 at the long end.

I have a 70-300 VR Nikkor and it DOES WORK WITH A TELECONVERTER (as does the 18-70 kit lens). NOT with a Nikkor telecon (IIRC, it won't physically fit since the "front" element of the telecon intrudes into the back of the lens) but certainly with a Kenko Teleplus 1.5x converter. FWIW, my Sigma 170-500 will also autofocus with the teleconverter fitted, despite the combination having an effective aperture way slower than f/5.6 at the long end.

Is that on a D40 Nod?

Afraid not but since the 70-300 VR is an AF-S lens, the connections must be in the TC to carry the AF signals to the lens motor so I'm pretty sure it would work. The 170-500 wouldn't AF on a D40, with or without a TC fitted!

Afraid not but since the 70-300 VR is an AF-S lens, the connections must be in the TC to carry the AF signals to the lens motor so I'm pretty sure it would work. The 170-500 wouldn't AF on a D40, with or without a TC fitted!

Thats because the 170-500mm does have a focus motor built into it. Not sure how you've achieved AF with this lens and TC, although the lens is cheating already because its a f6.3 at max AP and lies to the camera to make it work, so perhaps because of this, its not seeing the TC, but that makes it a very slow lens.

The D40/D40x/D50 and D60 cameras don't have the focus motor built into the body, therefore you need to by the new range of Nikon (3rd party) lenses with the focus motor built into the lens to achieve autofocus with this series of camera bodies.

The 170-500 doesn't lie to Nikons (the lens reports f/6.3) - AFAIK, it doesn't need to. Canons may need f/5.6 to AF but the Nikon bodies seem to manage very well with smaller apertures even in carpy light. Oh, the D50 DOES have an AF motor built into the body - it's the later D40(x) and D60 that don't.

(BTW, I think you meant to type "170-500mm doesn't have a focus motor built into it")

Have never really understood why Nikon introduced the D40/50/60 range without focus motors unless to cut costs or make people buy a new series of lenses especially designed for those camera. Makes them abit limited at the moment interms of fast zooms and primes.

Peter

The D50 does have an af motor, it predates the stripped out D40/D60 models

I was only going by the information on the Nikon Website posted in the other thread which said that Nikon branded TC only work upto f5.6 with AF, can't comment on 3rd party brands and how well they work on a nikon body.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2129/AF-S-Teleconverter-TC-14E-II.html
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/lenses/AF/TC-14EII-17EII-20EIII.pdf

You are correct, the D50 small brother of D70/70s does have a focus motor, should have read abit more of the info on Nikon TC's and camera's. Sorry for confusion.

Peter

I've been able to AF with a Nikkor 70-300 AF-G @ 300mm with a Kenko 2x TC (f/11 effective) no problem (on a D50).

As a D40 user I'm getting my head frazzled by this thread. All this talk of D50's and D60's is most confusing.

Does anyone know if a TC will work on a D40 body? With or without AF.

Thanks
Stu

As a D40 user I'm getting my head frazzled by this thread. All this talk of D50's and D60's is most confusing.

Does anyone know if a TC will work on a D40 body? With or without AF.

Thanks
Stu

There is nothing about a D40 body that will stop any TC, be it from Nikon, Sigma or Kenko or anyone else I've forgotten from working.

Nikon 300 F4 with 1.7 Nikon TC attached ,F6.7 actual,does autofocus on D200/300/70s.

I've been able to AF with a Nikkor 70-300 AF-G @ 300mm with a Kenko 2x TC (f/11 effective) no problem (on a D50).

Your getting confused with the AP and AF issue for the branded i.e. canon/nikon TC's. They will only work with a lens say for example 300mm f2.8.

The 1.4x TC will make you lose 1 f-stop of light so making the lens a f4, the 1.7x TC will lose 1 1/2 f-stops of light making it a f4.5 and a 2x TC will lose 2 f-stops of light making the lens a 600mm f5.6.

f5.6 is the max ap on the lens that the camera will work with, of course you can go to f11 or f22, depending on light and lens, but its the AP of the lens, not what the camera can open a close the AP too.

Peter

I'm not confused at all Peter.

Borrow a Kenko Pro 300 2x TC and a 70-300 AF-G. Try it. In good light it'll AF.

I do understand how this works :)

Sorry you are confused!

The TC should work on your 40D, but it will depend which lens you use.

There seems to be some difference in operation between the Nikon TC's and the 3rd party manufacturers as to which one work above f5.6 and which don't. That is a 1.4x TC will add 1 f-stop to you lenses max AP so a 300mm f2.8 will come a 420mm f4 and a 2x TC will add 2 f-stops so you lens becomes a 600mm f5.6 (or there abouts). The Nikon TC's report back to the camera the new AP, so I'm correct in saying that the Nikon TC's will allow lens to autofucus up to a max AP of f5.6.

On the other hand the tamron kenko TC have mixed claims that some will work with lenses smaller than f5.6 (that is AP of lens + 1 or 2 f-stops of light lost because of the TC) and some don't. The TC that seem to work don't tell the camera that a TC is attached so the camera only thinks there is a lens fitted. The problem lies in the fact that although it seems you can autofocus the lens, what will occur is lens hunting i.e the autofocus is failing to focus, lock onto something which can damage the lens.

So yes you should be able to use a TC on a D40, it will depend on the lens and the TC. If you use a Nikon TC, it will only work with lens and TC combinations up to max AP of f5.6 i.e 300mm + 2x TC = 600mm f5.6 lens....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=50244

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/f...nd-advice/23502-tele-converter-conundrum.html

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/f...nd-advice/23502-tele-converter-conundrum.html

Peter

Back