Will it work

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
I just had a thought for my micro four thirds bodies , I have a few legacy lenses so have some adaptors one of which is a Nikon one . Obviously it’s manual focus only with these dumb adaptors , but I was wondering could I fit say a sigma 150-600 Nikon mount , and with manual focus get a potential 1200mm crop factor , got plenty of mates with long reach Nikon lenses time for a play I think .
I have never yet found exposure to be a problem on mft

no one got any comments to make

If it is a dumb adaptor as the op says, the aperture will be fixed at f/6.3. Not necessarily a problem.

The longest FL that I have used is 1600mm (actual) or 2560 equivalent (1.6 crop). Focus is manual or live view only. Yes you need to keep the shutter speed up a bit but not stupidly high - 1/1250 + is fine, faster is better but not essential. Stabilising the lens is simple - I just turn the stabiliser (IS) off, works every time.

Unfortunately these huge focal lengths sound great but, in practice, they are not of much practical use. Certainly you will get images that others can't, but will they be worth keeping? To me the only solution is to get up close and personal which is why I (very) often use extension tubes on my 800 F5.6 L IS to get below minimum focus distance.

Naturally, if you already have adapters and lenses, then have a bit of fun and give them a go!

Can't see why it wouldn't work... does the adaptor provide for aperture control?
1200mm is a bitch to stabilize or get enough SS for...
Shutter priority ,set to 1/2000th sec , ibis on the g80 body, lens on tripod and gimbal . Auto iso . Will find a mate and check it out it will either work or not if it does a cheaper option would be a old Nikon fit sigma 150-500 . Hmmmmm

It certainly does work. Can more of less fill the frame with moon if that is your cup of tea! Will be wide open which will likely be what you want but if you did want to stop it down and have a DSLR nearby I'm sure I recall a trick where you can remove the lens from the DSLR with DOF preview button held to lock it at that aperture. Probably more useful for macro shooters.

I just had a thought for my micro four thirds bodies , I have a few legacy lenses so have some adaptors one of which is a Nikon one . Obviously it’s manual focus only with these dumb adaptors , but I was wondering could I fit say a sigma 150-600 Nikon mount , and with manual focus get a potential 1200mm crop factor , got plenty of mates with long reach Nikon lenses time for a play I think .
I have never yet found exposure to be a problem on mft

Only seen this thread now, odd! But if the lens is a G-type? i.e, no aperture ring on the lens itself, then a K&F concept adapter with the aperture ring might be best for it. It allows you to control the lens aperture, though not precise, no markings, just click stops - you can guess where it's at by counting through. I used one when I had the Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro OS

Any links Keith ,don’t worry found them

Last edited:
Any links Keith ,don’t worry found them

This is the one I had: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Concept-Aperture-Control-Panasonic/dp/B06X6NGF3H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542121235&sr=8-2&keywords=K&F+Nikon+to+m43

A little more expensive than the fully 'dumb' adapters without aperture control, but with those you're forced to shoot wide open always

If you look at the image on there you can see the aperture control, it only shows icons for wide open to closed down, no markings, but there is soft clicks as you adjust, you can tell by this where you're at if you count through

Last edited:
It certainly does work. Can more of less fill the frame with moon if that is your cup of tea! Will be wide open which will likely be what you want but if you did want to stop it down and have a DSLR nearby I'm sure I recall a trick where you can remove the lens from the DSLR with DOF preview button held to lock it at that aperture. Probably more useful for macro shooters.

IIRC the DoF preview trick works with some Canon lenses.

This is the one I had: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Concept-Aperture-Control-Panasonic/dp/B06X6NGF3H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542121235&sr=8-2&keywords=K&F+Nikon+to+m43

A little more expensive than the fully 'dumb' adapters without aperture control, but with those you're forced to shoot wide open always

If you look at the image on there you can see the aperture control, it only shows icons for wide open to closed down, no markings, but there is soft clicks as you adjust, you can tell by this where you're at if you count through
cheers Keith that's the same as I found on the bay of E will purchase if the need arises

Back