Will older Tamron lenses work with a Canon 400D

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have a Canon EOS 50N, (non digital), camera with some Tamron lenses. The lenses are 28-80mm and 80-200mm.

I am planning to purchase a Canon 400D digital camera. Will older Tamron lenses work with digital cameras and if so, will the quality be affected ?

Many Thanks

Derren

I've never heard of any compatibility issues with Tamron lenses. I would still possibly take them along to a shop and try them on a body to make sure, since some of the older sigma lenses didn't like the digital bodies.

The lenses should work fine. Some older Sigmas needed rechipping, but I've not heard this affected Tamrons.

One tends to examine their photos in much closer detail than with film and 6x4 prints from the chemist - but they should work, and the cropped sensor should look through the best part of the lens.

If you buy from a camera shop, then a reputable one should at least see if the lenses work, and if you have a CF card of your own, you can take them away and have a look before purchasing...

The focus algorithm changed many moons ago...pre-50N or post 50N?...not sure. If they are from before the change then you'll need to focus manually or have them "re-chipped".

My guess is that you should be fine.

Bob

I've had this reply from Tamron...

What does it mean...

"Yes these lenses will work with digital, but you must remember that Canon have a 1.6x ratio difference"

That just means that your digital sensor is smaller than a frame of film. This is what andrewc meant about the best part of the lens being used. The image circle of the lens is bigger than the size of the sensor so only the 'sweet' inner circle is effective.

It's the sensor crop with digital, compared to 35mm film.Canon have 3 sensor sizes, full frame on the 1Ds and 5D, 1.3 on 1D and 1.6 on the others (hope I've covered everything) so say a 100mm lens on the 400D effectively becomes a 160mm, so just multiply your existing focal lengths by 1.6 and you'll get the effective focal length of your lenses with the 400.

George

no George, the mm is not increased, the angle of view compared to the native 35mm is reduced.

for example, you do not turn a 300mm lens into a 480mm lens, you just reduce the amount od the image you can see.

This argument is more relevant to characteristics and behaviours of a lens. ie wideangle to 50 will still exagerate central features and above 50mm will still compress a scene. putting a 35mm lens on a APS-C body will not make this 35mm lens behave as a 50mm plus lens.

OK, Jonny, I was trying to simplify what happens, I agree with what you say but if you don't understand the sensor size differences, then it is not easy to understand why the effects you mention, occur.

sorry George - I get a bit passionate on this subject :LOL:

Just a quick note on this, I have an original EOS620, which was the first (along with the 650) of the "EOS" family. My 70-210 and 50mm both work fine, although the speed of the autofocus on the larger lens is a bit slow compared to my much newer 70-300 IS that I also have.

I can't see you having any problem with them.

Actually, Jonny, unfortunately it is often oversimplified, and perhaps my reply looked a bit that way, until you actually play with the same lens on a full frame then on a 1.3/1.6 crop sensor camera, it's difficult to imagine how the effect which we're trying to describe actually looks in practice, I hope we're not confusing anyone!!

Back