Will this Sigma lens for minolta work on my Canon?

Edit My Images
No
Hi

A mate has given me this lens for free but says to check whether it is compatible with my Canon 450D before using it.

The lens is a Sigma 100-300 f4.5-6.7 AF Lens for Minolta Cameras

He warned me to check because he had it on his old 300d and then the camera broke and the man in the shop siad is was because of the lens. My mate wasnt sure if that was correct though.

The lens fits the canon mount perfectly and i can take snaps with it, but i dont want to take any chances that this will kill my camera. Is it possible for a lens to kill a camera?? And would you recommend using it even though its meant for another camera?

Cheers

That doesn't make any sense to me. The Canon and Minolta mounts are different. If the lens is designed for a Minolta then it shouldn't fit a Canon, and vice versa. I've done some Googling and everyone seems to be saying you need to do some (non-reversible) work to get a Minolta lens to fit a Canon camera. This guide is a good example.

If you can somehow force it to fit, without adaptation, I don't think it would be recommended. I don't know whether it could break a camera, but the Minolta mount has various moving parts (eg aperture coupling pin) that Canon cameras don't need, and without being able to inspect one closely I wouldn't want to assume that the pin wouldn't do any harm inside a Canon body.

:plus1: The fitment of the lens is for the specific Camera - you'll notice that Sigma offer lenses for "Sigma fit, Sony / Minolta fit, Nikon fit, Canon fit" etc. The later Minolta lenses will fit the new Sony bodies.

You say "The lens is a Sigma 100-300 f4.5-6.7 AF Lens for Minolta Cameras" - how do you know that, is it on the box, on the camera or have you just been told that :shrug:

You could post a photo up here of several angles of the lens fitment if there is a possibilty of it being a Canon fit and not Minolta - I'm sure someone would be able to help. Alternatively, give Sigma a ring, they seem to be very helpfull and maybe able to tell you specifically what fitment it is.

If your mate has given you this lens, but he's saying it broke his 300D, do you know why he was told this :shrug: I have heard some of the older Sigma lenses can be re-chipped to work with digital cameras, but thought this was down to more of a reliabilty issue with AF etc, rather than it will "break" the camera :shrug:

Back