Will This Work?

Name
Jess
Edit My Images
Yes
Just purchased the Opteka .20X HD Fisheye lens for my Nikon N65 35mm SLR.

I did it out of impulse, assuming it will fit to my mount because I've read most all Nikons have the same mount as long as they're AF.

Anyone have any opinons on this lens/brand? Or does anyone know if it will (or will NOT) for sure fit on my body?

Thanks!!!

normaly they fit on the screw thread of your kit lens, if its wrong size for you, then get a cheap adapter off ebay

Yup, its not a lens its a lens adapter. It will screw onto the end of a lens already fitted. It should have said what size thread it fits on to.

As for opinions.. well. I hope you didn't pay to much.

So... it's just like the "middle man" between my camera body and a spearate lens?

I don't think im understanding the difference between a lens, and an adapter? how silly do I sound haha

In a way it is a lens.. as it has glass in it, but its not a lens in the traditional sense of attaching to to your camera. its not a middle man, its an end man. You first attach a normal lens that you may have, and this thing will screw into the end of the attached lens.

It fits onto the end of your current lens, where you'd normally fit a filter.

So it goes:

Body -> Lens -> Fisheye adapter

oh! okay, so i have the stock 28-80mm lens for my nikon n65 slr, and i would attach this at the end?
Then it would see as fish eye?
Sorry im new to all of this

Techincally yes, but these things work best at wider angles. (not that they are very good at all)
Basically all this thing will do is make everything look distorted, and you'll probably also have a huge vignette around the edge.

By wider angles, you mean if i were to buy a wider angle LENS? and attach the adapter to the wide angle lens?

Yes, but I wouldn't bother. If you want a fisheye, just buy a proper fisheye. This adapter you have bought won't do anything a plug in on photoshop won't do.

Jess, have a quick check to make sure the back of the Opteka thing doesn't touch the front of your kit lens when it's screwed on and give it a try! Of course you'll have to wait for the results to come back from the developing shop to see them but you'll see the effect the thing will have through the viewfinder.

Okay, I canceled the purchase once I found out it was an adapter anyways, any suggestions on a cheaper, more simple fisheye?
Since I'm just starting out I dont want anything too fancy or complex

The samyangs are probably the best value. Might be called Rokinon over in the US. Its manual focus, but on a fish eye, thats not really much of an issue. The 8mm is very well regarded, although its made for an APS-C digital sensor, it does also work on full frame, or 35mm film, but you will have a semi circular image and large vignetting like the adapter would have given.

http://www.rokinon.com/product.php?id=179

Im actually fond of vignetting! so that doesnt bother me much! i'm just trying to expand my photos with different lenses and such.

Never used a Samyang but do have a Sigma 8mm f/4 which cost me £220 (IIRC) a few years ago 2nd hand. It (and the Samyang) give a circular image on a full frame sensor (or 35mm film frame) and offer a 180° angle of view (so mind your toes and other forward pointing extremities!)
ExCollFish by gpn63, on Flickr

Back