Will You Ever Buy Another DSLR?

I think with full AF coverage and eye tracking in the R5 and R6 etc. I wouldn't mind buying into Mirrorless Cameras for my next Camera. Ergonomics are important to me though, I need to feel comfortable holding my DSLR but I have heard the ergonomics on the R5 and R6 are similar to an APS-C DSLR such as my 80D. That said I am happy with my 80D.

For a working pro or anyone else shooting moving people, then it’s the difference between having 10 out of 10 perfectly focussed images from which to choose the best ‘micro expression’ or only having 6 out of 10 (and seeing that the best one is slightly OoF).

If that’s not important to you, then no problem, but it is important to me and lots of other people.

BTW when the Minolta was the ‘fastest AF’ I was shooting Bronica - I didn’t buy an AF camera till this millennium (shortly followed by going digital).

I’m also aware that a lot of ‘photographers’ never really understand why focussing on the closest eye is the difference between a stunning portrait and something ‘not quite right’.
I didn't know that - normally I just photograph insects and birds but I will remember that next time I photograph family.

I understand why eye AF is important for portrait photographers - but it isn’t for me- not even animal eye AF.

My focus is on something that works ( and eg the hit rate on bif from the d500 is good and it is cheap.)

I hear good things of the Canon MILCs and maybe the A1 or A9ii.

They are expensive and also I definitely need high mpx or crop to get the reach.

When dslrs disappear that will be another matter.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you compare the price of an expensive modern mirrorless camera to its DSLR equivalent the mirrorless camera may suddenly look more competitive or in some instances may even be cheaper. I think you have to compare like with as far as possible like... for example compare high frame rate cameras, high definition cameras etc. I can't remember the details but I do remember looking up the price of the Sony A1 / A9 and being shocked when I found that the Canikon DSLR equivalents were in some instances more expensive.

Ditto the lenses. If you look at the price of the new digital lenses and compare the prices to the equivalent DSLR lenses at the time of release the mirrorless lenses don't seem to be so badly priced especially when we consider that the newer lenses are in some instances better than the older DSLR lenses.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you compare the price of an expensive modern mirrorless camera to its DSLR equivalent the mirrorless camera may suddenly look more competitive or in some instances may even be cheaper. I think you have to compare like with as far as possible like... for example compare high frame rate cameras, high definition cameras etc. I can't remember the details but I do remember looking up the price of the Sony A1 / A9 and being shocked when I found that the Canikon DSLR equivalents were in some instances more expensive.

Ditto the lenses. If you look at the price of the new digital lenses and compare the prices to the equivalent DSLR lenses at the time of release the mirrorless lenses don't seem to be so badly priced especially when we consider that the newer lenses are in some instances better than the older DSLR lenses.

Well it’s a personal decision snd opinion of course which is what the OP canvased.

and so, again for me:

D500 = 900 quid used. cf:

A1= 3600 quid
R5= 4300
and they are the only ones that can crop to dx and ( possibly ) have good enough AF.

and I don’t want or need the tech that is in the A1 etc including the high frame rates that everyone says we all need.

My camera ( and general ) buying decisions are informed by what will give me what I require at the best value - and not what tech the marketeers tell me I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it’s a personal decision snd opinion of course which is what the OP canvased.

and so, again for me:

D500 = 900 quid used. cf:

A1= 3600 quid
R5= 4300
and they are the only ones that can crop to dx and ( possibly ) have good enough AF.

and I don’t want or need the tech that is in the A1 etc including the high frame rates that everyone says we all need.

My camera ( and general ) buying decisions are informed by what will give me what I require at the best value - and not what tech the marketeers tell me I need.

Prices aren't a personal opinion they're there to be compared and payed (or not) but hopefully at least with some thought but if you want to compare a new high end FF mirrorless camera to a 6 year old APS-C DSLR then fill your boots.

on my current wage I'll be lucky to avoid having to sell all the ones i've got in order to keep a roof over my head. Joys of working for the NHS. Apparently they don't accept clapping in lieu of mortgage payments.

Prices aren't a personal opinion they're there to be compared and payed (or not) but hopefully at least with some thought but if you want to compare a new high end FF mirrorless camera to a 6 year old APS-C DSLR then fill your boots.

You don't get it do you ? Perhaps you should reread what I posted.

I am not doing some camera comparison review - I am talking about MY answer to the OP's post.

This is NOT for me about the best and latest tech but about getting something FUNCTIONAL and I don't give a monkeys whether it is new and shiny bright with all the bells and whistles or something out of the ark.

You don't get it do you ? Perhaps you should reread what I posted.

I am not doing some camera comparison review - I am talking about MY answer to the OP's post.

This is NOT for me about the best and latest tech but about getting something FUNCTIONAL and I don't give a monkeys whether it is new and shiny bright with all the bells and whistles or something out of the ark.

I can indeed see where you're coming from but you said mirrorless are expensive and have made comparisons that make no sense.

It's not necessarily about tech but you must engage your brain before stating opinions as if they're fact when you're so far off your comparisons are meaningless.

And as yet again a thread seems to be turning nasty, I'm out but I will urge people to compare intelligently a little more.

And as yet again a thread seems to be turning nasty, I'm out but I will urge people to compare intelligently a little more.

Nikon Z7ii vs Nikon D850 - same 45mp sensor. Why buy the Z7ii if you don't need eye AF - say as a landscape shooter. The DSLR's lenses are cheaper and the body is cheaper as well. Of course, if you were comparing across different makes things get more complex but the Z7ii vs D850 is as like for like as it can be.

Last edited:
I can indeed see where you're coming from but you said mirrorless are expensive and have made comparisons that make no sense

It's not necessarily about tech but you must engage your brain before stating opinions as if they're fact when you're so far off your comparisons are meaningless.

I expressed my personal opinions and that is abundantly clear if you actually read my posts.

The comparison was perfectly valid in the context in which I made it. I was comparing the utility of various options for me - and their prices.

It appears to me that you answered my post by quoting it and then, rather than commenting intelligently on what I had written, you went off onto a tangent which seems to be about DSLR pricing vs MILCs - without any reference or context to anything I had written.

Last edited by a moderator:

This too. ^
I appreciate that the R6 isn’t built like a tank but it has the same sensor as a 1dxIII a better focus system and similar FPS for about half the price.

Back