William Cash - War Veteran

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
crw_0084.jpg

Meet William Cash, a previous Sergeant Major in the army. He signed up for the army on Renshaw Street and served for 12 years including in WW2. At the age of 86 he came down from Skelmersdale to see the service in Liverpool. The hat he is wearing is his original beret from his time spent in the army.

Last edited:
Its a very important event imho. You've got people who served in various wars but more importantly I feel that you need to show the people who come out to support it. I saw people there today who you wouldn't think are interested in this. Its important to show this event.

Lovely shot :)

I'm off to Poland for a couple of days, going to Auschwitz on the Tuesday (11.11) so hope something is going on....even if not I'm sure there will be some poignant moments to reflect upon history

What a great honour it is to know a little bit more about a man who fought for his country and came through the other side to still be here today and be able to share his experiences with others. And to still be wearing the same hat is pretty amazing!

Great shot Pete

Great Pete

But (it's a wee but) I don't think we need the wheelchair handles to see he's in a wheelchair, cropping it tighter to his back then also loses the word "Company", which I feel has little benefit here

Whereas if you crop that to "Y" (perhaps then as in an emotive question???), "NY" or even "ANY" - you can't help but focus more on William and the remaining words "A MIGHTY ARMY" - which says more for me

Just a thought

DD

Last edited:
crw_0084.jpg

Meet William Cash, a previous Sergeant Major in the army. He signed up for the army on Renshaw Street and served for 12 years including in WW2. At the age of 86 he came down from Skelmersdale to see the service in Liverpool. The hat he is wearing is his original hat from his time spent in the army.

nice shot pete just so you know ,dont let him hear you calling it a hat, its a BERET.:LOL:

Not keen on the highlights, sorry.

A really nice subject, and very emotive.

As already said its a 'beret'. Also it's a shame the highlights look blown :shrug:

Good to commemorate the day though.

Neil

Great Pete

But (it's a wee but) I don't think we need the wheelchair handles to see he's in a wheelchair, cropping it tighter to his back then also loses the word "Company", which I feel has little benefit here

Whereas if you crop that to "Y" (perhaps then as in an emotive question???), "NY" or even "ANY" - you can't help but focus more on William and the remaining words "A MIGHTY ARMY" - which says more for me

Just a thought

DD

Must admit that the thought had crossed my mind. I felt that this worked well enough though.

nice shot pete just so you know ,dont let him hear you calling it a hat, its a BERET.:LOL:

Noted :)

The subject is William & to a significant extent the wall behind - the (blown) messages on the wreathes don't matter IMO, nor does a wee brightness on William's forehead

DD

Exactly. You wouldn't be able to read them anyway.

A really nice subject, and very emotive.

As already said its a 'beret'. Also it's a shame the highlights look blown :shrug:

Good to commemorate the day though.

Neil

Highlights aren't blown on William. I use the highlight warning thing in Lightroom to watch for it.

A very good image, its a shame alot of people are bothered about blown areas in pictures when I think it doesnt matter. Maybe its because im new to photography and didn't go to college and learn than blown areas are a no no. In some, yes it does affect the image in a bad way but imo a few blown bits can even add to the image. Each to their own I guess.

At least we have the temerity to discuss it -- part of what Sar'nt Major Cash fought for.

To me, his face and the wetness of his coat matter most. In a different image, he could be in complete silhouette and that would be completely acceptable.

William you and your comrades have my respect.
Nice shot. Nothing else matters.

Kev.

Taking advantage of the tick in the edit box:

crw_0084-edit-256.jpg

Thanks Pete.

Thanks Sgt Maj Cash.

Book recommendation: Vessel of Sadness by William Woodruff.

Taking advantage of the tick in the edit box:

crw_0084-edit-256.jpg

Thanks Pete.

Thanks Sgt Maj Cash.

Book recommendation: Vessel of Sadness by William Woodruff.

Looks a bit flat/lacking in contrast now if I'm honest....although that may be withdrawal symptoms from looking at Pete's work!

Great shot, i was in port sunlight that morning, there was a remembrance Sunday parade there.

He looks pretty wet too! and on liverpool waterfront, it would have been pretty chilly also!

Like the shot, and the processing, but something i've noticed with a lot of the pics, is that they're slightly oversharpened (looking around the bottom of the wheelchair). Then again, that may have come with the resize/conversion to JPG.

It was at the cenotaph at St Georges Hall, still very cold though and wet. The pic doesn't seem that overly sharpened imho. At least not enough to deter viewing.

I prefer the first, perhaps cropped a bit more to the right with the focus being William and the words "A Might Army." Very nice capture.

crw_0084.jpg

Meet William Cash, a previous Sergeant Major in the army. He signed up for the army on Renshaw Street and served for 12 years including in WW2. At the age of 86 he came down from Skelmersdale to see the service in Liverpool. The hat he is wearing is his original hat from his time spent in the army.

It aint a hat, its a beret!!!

Love the original shot - works for me.

Back