Wilton Windmill

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been out and about over the past few nights, playing with my New Sky Watcher Star Adventurer (Didn't use it for this shot).... I'd been planning on doing this shot for a little while, but could never muster up the energy to shoot off up to Wilton as its a bit of a drive (30 miles down a bunch of B roads) so I'd normally stay local and go to the coast or New Forest...last night I forced myself out... I'd been at the beach all day with the kids and was pretty knackered... but you've got to be in it to win it as they say... so off I pootled...

The weather was looking promising, the sky was getting darker and darker the closer I got, things were looking up! I could see the Windmill in the distance and the thing was lit up like a christmas tree! Damn! Oh well, you have to work with what you've got...

I park up, unload the car and wander in (no signs saying you can't go in and I find its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission)

I round the corner and..... Where are the blinking sails?????

Arrghhhhhhh!!! They'd removed them two weeks ago for repair!!!

Oh well..... them's the breaks... this is the result... it's two exposures.. one for the foreground and one for the sky... the blend is a tad messy as it was done at about 1am and I had been awake for over 20 hours by this point and spent most of the day snorkling around the Dorset coast... I'll revisit it later in the week and sort out the lean/distortion....

If the sails were on I'd be ecstatic, instead i'm just quietly pleased with the shot...

The lights did actually go off before I took this shot, thankfully!

On a separate note, does anyone have any tips for stitching together panorama shots of the Milky Way? I've got one I've done (badly) and I'm a having a complete mare of a time getting it to stich properly, Its around 4 rows of about 20 ish shots (portrait at 16mm) and it either warps hideously or refuses to stitch...

Wilton Windmill and the Milky Way
by Keety, on Flickr

Last edited:
Have you corrected all the shots for distortion?
Are you manually stacking them?

yup to distortion...

NO to manually stacking... tried all forms of auto in photoshop, ptgui, microsoft ice and what not...

Have you any links to good guides or tips for manually stacking/stitching?

That's lovely!

Back