Wimberley camera plate.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone.

Basically, I’m researching for possible options to be able to hold my partner’s R7 - paired with the 100mm macro to be occasionally used on my Gitzo monopod and MH100 head.

What with her interest being “limited” - I’m looking for a reasonably quick “get around” - as she’s already told me she won’t even contemplate using a tripod…

So what I’m wanting to ask; is this “Wimberley P-5” camera plate I’ve found on WEX etc.; the same fitting as the Wimberley “AP” replacement feet that I use on my 3 primes; that it can attach straight to my monopod setup?

Apologies in advance for the overly long question :D - and thanks for any help too.

As I perceive it....

Yes, a P5 plate fitted to the body tripod point will allow for such a camera & lens combo to be used on your MH100 head BUT the camera will 'fixed in the portrait orientation! If she is happy with that 100% of the usage then fine.

However, to cover both orientation usages IMO she will need and L-bracket still switch easily between the two.

Edit ~ personally for body plates I like this make as it has anti-twist lugs, not found on 'universal' versions.

Re: L Bracket(s)

No idea how good this make is (I suggest you check reviews?) but I have bought the odd item from this supplier.

Last edited:
As I perceive it....

Yes, a P5 plate fitted to the body tripod point will allow for such a camera & lens combo to be used on your MH100 head BUT the camera will 'fixed in the portrait orientation! If she is happy with that 100% of the usage then fine.

However, to cover both orientation usages IMO she will need and L-bracket still switch easily between the two.

Edit ~ personally for body plates I like this make as it has anti-twist lugs, not found on 'universal' versions.

Re: L Bracket(s)

No idea how good this make is (I suggest you check reviews?) but I have bought the odd item from this supplier.

Thanks for the reply.

The fixed orientation did cross my mind. It’s more of a quick fix to try and tempt her into using it a bit more frequently, as it stands.

I need to do some more research on this Arca Swiss type setup; as my main tripod head is a Manfrotto quick release setup; and it’d be good to get things a bit more universal across the board… :)

Many thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.

The fixed orientation did cross my mind. It’s more of a quick fix to try and tempt her into using it a bit more frequently, as it stands.

I need to do some more research on this Arca Swiss type setup; as my main tripod head is a Manfrotto quick release setup; and it’d be good to get things a bit more universal across the board… :)

Many thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.
FWIW
I now have everything using Arca Swiss clamps and plates. Though not a 'universal' standard i.e. not all QR clamps from those that make them are usable 100% with all plates whichever the maker. NB I don't use a QR clamp but like the grippyness of the Wimberley clamps screw.

For example:-
On my Manfrotto monopod I have a Sirui tilt head with AS clamp.
I have a Wimberley gimbal that I use on my Manfrotto tripod or my Moman mini tripod.
Plus I use a Black Rapid sling strap with a Wimberley C-12 clamp attached to carry my camera & lens combo as needed.

Last edited:
FWIW
I now have everything using Arca Swiss clamps and plates. Though not a 'universal' standard i.e. not all QR clamps from those that make them are usable 100% with all plates whichever the maker. NB I don't use a QR clamp but like the grippyness of the Wimberley clamps screw.

For example:-
On my Manfrotto monopod I have a Sirui tilt head with AS clamp.
I have a Wimberley gimbal that I use on my Manfrotto tripod or my Moman mini tripod.
Plus I use a Black Rapid sling strap with a Wimberley C-12 clamp attached to carry my camera & lens combo as needed.

Thanks very much.

Looks like I’ve got a lot more to research than I first thought. If it’s not a Gimbal; Sidekick; lens foot or plate with regards to anything Wimberley- I’m totally lost :D

Back