Wimberley Head 2 - any advice please?

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
I am considering getting one of these but don't seem to be able to find them stocked in many places. Any reason for this. Also, what advice can you give me about using one - accessories etc. they seem very expensive here!

Went to put my Wimberley Mk2 onto my tripod the other day and noticed that it wouldn't attach due to the thread inside the head being stripped!

Have gone back to my supplier who has said that they would fit an upgraded stainless steel original part but would charge me labour (£54) to fit it even though this is still within the 5yr warranty.

Obviously I'm glad it didn't go with all my kit attached as that could have been quite costly but I'm quite concerned that a bit of kit at this quality level has failed like this within warranty and to me, upgrading from an aluminium thread to a stainless steel one does seem to acknowledge that there might have been a design fault there to start with.

Has anyone here had this happen to them? Is it right to charge for a repair under warranty? Would appreciate your

This is from an other post by unlocker.

Last edited:
The Wimberley is a really excellent piece of kit - I've used a number of different gimbals but a while ago I managed to pick up a used Wimberley Mk1 with plate for around £100 and it truly is a stable platform for the kit. Try looking out for used Mk1 or Mk2 if you want to save some money but even if you buy it new it will be money well spent.

Ebay is a good place to start if you cannot find one on here ………. similar to gramps …. I have had a few "gimbals" - the Wimberley is the one I would always use if possible

Thanks guys. Have had a look - not a single one in sight. Just missed one on MPB. Will keep my eyes peeled. :ty:

Have any of you used another U.S. Product similar by Jobu? One of the birders at our club uses one..

Yes, thanks for that. I had seen it.. My eyes watered at the price! Still pondering the price in Australia.... Lx

Back