Wimbledon rules and regs

Name
Liz
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone, been a member of TP for a while but haven't really posted much. Have a couple of quick questions about the Wimbledon Championships.

I'm planning on going down to Wimbledon and queue for a day ticket this week, and I would dearly love to take my camera with me. My current long lens which I use for cricket photography is the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 and I would like to use that, as my only other option is a frankly terrible 70-300mm. The camera body is my new 70D, which I'm not worried about getting through security. The Wimbledon rules and regs say they're happy for spectators to take photographs as long as they're not used commercially, which they won't be, but they refuse long lenses into the ground through the security gate. According to their prohibited items graphic on the website.

I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I didn't take my camera kit when I went last year because of worries at the security gate and I regretted it!

Second question - I know the crowd need to be quiet during play on Centre and Number 1 Courts, does this count for using cameras with potentially loud shutter noises too? The 70D is fairly quiet, but I don't want to upset anyone around me.

Many thanks!!

Liz

EDIT: I think I posted this in the wrong bit of the forum. Sorry :( :(

Last edited:
Thank you Yv! I didn't think to do that first of all did I? Doh! Thank you anyway :)

Liz,

I shoot tennis as accredited media - and have just returned from the Aegon International at Eastbourne. However, I'm also a tennis fan and have photographed at both Queens and Wimbledon as a regular paying visitor. I was at Queens two weeks ago, although using a Nikon v1, 10-30mm and an FT1+50mm lens to give a 135mm maximum focal length. I mainly shoot the practice courts and some of the scenery - as I'm going to watch the matches at those events rather than shoot it for publication.

You'll probably be OK with your 100-400mm, especially retracted during inspection, but I couldn't guarantee it. There were punters at Eastbourne with 100-400mm on both Canon and Nikon - but it is much more relaxed there. You wouldn't get in with a 300mm f2.8, or longer as they wouldn't fit in the bag size permitted as well as being certain "long lenses" - but I suspect it will be down to the individual looking in your bag. In the past (last time 3 years ago) I have taken in a D3x and 70-200mm with no issues, and a friend went in with a Nikon 300mm f/4 but the grey Canon lens *might* work against you.

So far as noise on court - you are correct the show courts tend to be protected from surrounding courts noises and you'll need to take care as your shutter won't be drowned out with voices and people moving around. You shouldn't shoot during the serve at all - as accredited media we take extreme care at that time often using a quiet shutter release to get those images, or a position high up on a 500/600mm. How much you disrupt the players would be the primary concern - a few blips of the shutter shouldn't bother your neighbouring spectators. That is assuming you are going primarily watch the tennis and not try to cover it photographically (albeit for personal use) by hammering the motor drive on every stroke !

If you do find yourself on a show court, or watching a Brit play and you are very near a large number of accredited media then your shutter will likely be drowned out by them. When I was last on court 2 at Wimbledon, right at the front, I was on the opposite side to the pit and it was noticeable that the noise was coming from a different direction.

Discretion is the best policy. If you must shoot during play you should be able to spot the rhythm of the media's shutters, or try to capture some great moments after play has completed between points or during breaks. I wouldn't suggest you keep the camera to your eye all the time as you might attract unwanted attention especially if you are near the front.

Have a great time.

Mike - wow, thank you for your answer! I have a small canvas backpack which I was going to take with me, which would happily take my camera body and the 100-400 lens in its case, as well as the rest of my belongings I was going to take (lunch, water, phone and purse etc.) I think I was mostly planning to take action photos on the outside courts, my 70-300mm would suit those fine (its not so great at long distance stuff on the long end, bit soft. It was a kit lens with my first camera, a 500D, and its the reason I bought the 100-400!) and because the crowd noise would drown out the shutter noise, as you rightly pointed out. I've taken that kit into a test match as a spectator before and I haven't had a problem, but as you say its down to whoever checks my bag.

I'm going with a friend who has never been to Wimbledon before, and because I didn't get the chance to go on the show courts when I visited last year (I went on Middle Saturday, and spent 8 hours in the queue...) The photography is to make up for not taking it with me then.

I've got a few days to decide, but thank you for the advice.

Hi. I've taken my dslr into both Wimbledon and Paris as a paying punter. i once had to put my 70-200f4 IS lens into the left property store at Roland Garros because they said it was too long but it's been ok to get it in otherwise. This week, I've spent two days at Wimbledon. There's no restriction on personal usage photogrpahy but there are two caveats. Firstly (and this has never been a problem for me either on the show courts or the outside courts) is that you shouldn't disturb any other spectators and secondly is that 'long lenses' are among the list of prohibited items you can't take in with you. On the first day the security guy doing the bag check looked at my 70-200f2.8 and checked with his supervisor, who said it was ok. The next day I simply had it slung over my shoulder and they didn't look at it at all. You wouldn't get in with a big white lens eg 300mmF2.8 upwards, I'm sure. Overall, i'd say I've been to Paris/Wimbledon ten times or more and only had a problem once. By and large the stewards are not a problem once you're inside and their main concern is to stop non-ticket holders getting into the show courts.

Just got back from Wimbledon today and had to take my 300mm f4 back to the car as the bag checker today said it was too long. Never had a problem with it before, but I guess it's the luck of the draw which bag checker you get. 120mm doesn't get you very far from row U does it? Grumble...

Ok, so I am off to Paris and wimbledon this year. Does anyone have an update to this thread? I am hiring a 100-400 for Roland Garros, but wondering if I should book it for wimbledon. I dont really want to have to leave it in left luggage!

Thanks

What does it say on their website? Hang on a mo' while I look it up for you......*

- Lenses over 300mm are prohibited.
- "The use of photographic equipment must not inconvenience any other person in the Grounds. Spectators are advised that the use of flash photography from the stands is strictly forbidden."
So officially you won't be able to take a 100-400mm into the grounds. Obviously it's up to you if you want to risk it on the day.

On a less practical note...
- "Still photographs, film, video tape and other audio/visual material recorded within the Grounds may not be sold or used comercially (sic) in any way whatsoever, unless authorised by the AELTC and may be confiscated by the AELTC if such sale or commercial use is suspected."
- "AELTC shall own all intellectual property rights in materials taken or recorded in the Grounds."

* - Apologies for the sarcastic reply, but this info is very quickly and easily found.

Last edited:
If you are a tennis fan and going to watch a good game. you will miss a lot looking down a lens.. i would suggest the same for most sports i can think of... Your not allowed to do much with the pics either so I dont see the point... I do believe cameras should be allowed in sporting events for spectators and I do believe they should be able to take pics and record there day out... But trying to photo a match from the crowd I dont see the point...

Each to thre own of course :) But as I say you wont see the same (or as much) match as the person without the camera ..

I clicked on the link a couple of posts above, clicked on photography and could not see the lens size comment, just the one about not inconveniencing others...??

Just out of curiosity, does the 'no lenses over 300mm' rule mean the focal length written on the lens? Or the physical length of it?

You could satisfy your curiosity by ringing them:
General (non-ticket) Enquiries: 020 8944 1066
:)

Nikon V1, 18-200 + FT-1 adaptor! Grab a few shots when the players are in good light, maybe during the warm-up. Then watch the match through Mk1 eyeballs. Grab a few snaps of the players after the match for winner/loser faces.

OK, thanks for the information above. I had obviously read the rules, just wanted to know like one of the other people chipping in if that as the focal length or physical size? and wondered what people experiences were.

I like taking pictures, even if you can't do alot with them. Im not interested in selling them. I just like having them in my collection. Some of it so I can look at the technique and movements from a series of shots. Being a tennis player makes you more interested in these things.

However if anyone is interested I have just been to Roland Garros and despite their rule of no lens over 200mm (100MM less than wimbledon) I got in with the 100-400. unzoomed it is just under 200mm. They questioned it but as I had tighened up the zoom they couldn't easily zoom it so assummed it was as long as it went. The rules dont state it can't zoom further.
I will be taking it to Wimbledon, as even extended its fall in the 300mm length.

I may post some pics if anyone is interested.

Back