Winchester Castle - general architectural C&C please!

Name
Del
Edit My Images
Yes
Really struggling with architectural shots, they just look... well a bit snapshot and cliché like :( would greatly appreciate some feedback and thoughts - from an entire day wondering around I only got three I didn't bin instantly. (with a strong hint of saving only so I hadn't wasted the whole day!!!)

5981699708_e50e9faf8f_z.jpg

looks a bit better on black

5981699044_70d8298411_z.jpg

not sure even black saves this

by Del Vincent on flickr

#1 is the classic shot you get at cathedrals, as you say cliche even, i'd try it in different flavours of mono perhaps to add more impact ? #2 the turrets in the background just seem a little cartoony to me so not a fan soss !

@Puz - no need to apologise - I desperately need some cold hard truths so I can improve! I've actually already tried to tone down the turret end of the cathedral a touch in PP, the lighting was bizarre and giving some really odd feels to it. I'm seriously struggling to 'see' the shot opportunities with buildings.

As you say with #1, it is just a cliché really, I tried a couple of mono's but just couldn't escape the major flaw which is the composition!

@Paul - thanks, but for the 'best' of a days shooting... :(

Last edited:
Opinions....that's the great thing about this forum. Now for mine, okay #1 is a bit clichéd. #2 for me. I love the composition, works well in Mono, I'd be happy if it were mine.

Back