Critique Wind & Wuthering

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Wind & Wuthering by Nick Case, on Flickr

I have a new years resolution this year of taking an image each month that I wouldn't mind putting in a calendar. So far I've been very busy and/or weather has been terrible, but this Sunday I realised that January is quickly slipping away and I had to get out there no matter what. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

So I had a little drive around (about half an hour before "sunset") and not much was happening, but I found what I think is quite a nice composition, and after a few minutes being stood there with the tripod setup, a car came past and I managed to grab it as it was going down the hill. I think it adds some interest to a photo that would otherwise be quite "normal" or "standard" with no interest in the sky (Seriously, it was pretty bleak out there)

I'm always looking to improve, but the main thing I'm proud of is I actually got out of the house on a cold Sunday to take some photos. :)

Well done for getting out there. Unfortunately the light was meh and consequently, the image is a little flat. I'm not sure the blue car does add anything either - at least not where it is. If anything the rather bright lights distract and dominate a tad (looks like it was braking, bad on the exit of a bend ;)). The composition is ok, the road makes a nice lead line.

As Paul said, well done for getting out and I think it's good to have a goal for the year. I can see that you wanted to get the footpath in but I wonder what it would have been like if you stood on the corner and just had the road plus car disappearing into the distance, kind of a January metaphor for the year stretching ahead?

no car with all the road shown...and the style
would be my composition
you can lighten this a bit by some simple pp
is that near howarth?
cheers
geof

Thanks for all your crit. I agree, the conditions weren't ideal, and maybe this is one of the times where an image didn't need to be taken. Hopefully the conditions will be kinder to me this weekend :)

Thanks for all your crit. I agree, the conditions weren't ideal, and maybe this is one of the times where an image didn't need to be taken. Hopefully the conditions will be kinder to me this weekend :)
What I do in cases like this is use the time as a research, work out where I might like to shoot, and when etc ... often will take reference shots to remind me what is there etc ...

Back