Window 7 password problem - Help!

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All - I'm hoping there are a few computer boffins out there. I have a 3 week old Packard Bell laptop which has a password required to log into Window 7. I wrote the password down and have accessed the machine a handful of times with this password. For some reason, the computer will now not let me use the password saying it is incorrect?:shrug:
Is there a way around this or has anyone else had this problem?

I've done a Google search to see if there's a way to make a boot disk or something, but having tried 2 different freeware programs, it won't load up on the DOS screen?

I have no other way to get in to use the machine now. :shake:

Any help would be much appreciated. (y)

Thanks for looking.

Gareth

Not a lot of use if you can't log in to remove the password!!

If you have access to another PC to create a CD or USB flash drive image then download this and follow the instructions.

Clicky

I've already tried to install using a boot disc, but i keep getting an error message when loading up in the DOS screen:

"/bin/ash: can't access tty; job control turned off" :thinking:

I've already tried to install using a boot disc, but i keep getting an error message when loading up in the DOS screen:

"/bin/ash: can't access tty; job control turned off" :thinking:

Have you tried the stuff from my link? Doesn't do an install of anything on the laptop, just allows you to change the password so that you can log on again.

Had a look on the link but found it a bit confusing as to exactly what to do?

You download the software, either CD or USB version. Burn it to a disk/USB as an ISO, and then use that to boot the laptop. Follow the on screen instructions and it will change the password for you.

Just a quick suggestion. Do you have a keyboard that has the number incorporated. Have you got the numlock on so you're typing numbers not letters (or capitals etc)

Just a quick suggestion. Do you have a keyboard that has the number incorporated. Have you got the numlock on so you're typing numbers not letters (or capitals etc)

Yes I did think of that one, so tried all combinations with upper and lower case etc etc but still no joy.

I'm actually thinking of returning the machine to Comet.

You download the software, either CD or USB version. Burn it to a disk/USB as an ISO, and then use that to boot the laptop. Follow the on screen instructions and it will change the password for you.

I've downloaded the software and burned to disc as an ISO but it doesn't seem to want to boot from the CD, even with boot sequence changed.

I'd return it as anything that spontaneously combusts your password isn't something I'd want to hang onto!

Can you plug in a usb keyboard? If the keyboard on the laptop has failed then potentially nothing you type in will be correct. Is the touchpad working ok so you can move the mouse pointer?

I've downloaded the software and burned to disc as an ISO but it doesn't seem to want to boot from the CD, even with boot sequence changed.

Hmmmm. If you created a bootable disk rather than just burning the file to disk (2 completely different things) then it sounds as if something is dodgy with the laptop :thumbsdown:

Yes I did think of that one, so tried all combinations with upper and lower case etc etc but still no joy.

I'm actually thinking of returning the machine to Comet.

They will charge you..... Be prepared to pay with 1 x arm and 1 x leg.

It is not a fault, so unless you have saved any work / pics to the laptop, then the easiest thing to do would be to do a factory restore.... Then use a memorable password when it is restored!

Ste

Ste_Lord said:
They will charge you..... Be prepared to pay with 1 x arm and 1 x leg.

It is not a fault, so unless you have saved any work / pics to the laptop, then the easiest thing to do would be to do a factory restore.... Then use a memorable password when it is restored!

Ste

I'd be inclined to agree, comet will probably treat it as a support request rather than an issue. You'd be surprised how many of our users "know" their password but can't login on a weekly basis.

Don't think the cd not booting is related.

Try booting to Safe Mode (as the computer first starts up, keep pressing the F8 key until you get a screen offering the option of Safe Mode). You may get the option to log in as Administrator, which may not have a password. (That account should be disabled, but worth a try). If that lets you in you can go to User Accounts in Control Panel and change the password for your account.

Failing that you can do a factory restore and lose all of the settings you have created. (See Post #16 from BaRoN30s)

Otherwise get it to a small computer shop or IT Support company, (not a High St chain) and they may be prepared to wipe the password for you. We'd want proof that a user making such a request owned the machine, of course :)

i was thinking that earlier but im thinking you cant get into user accounts under safe mode

It does let you in and you can mess with User Accounts, but Windows 7 should have disabled the Administrator Account by default, so you won't get the option to use the account anyway.

If there is only one user account on the computer then Safe Mode won't help, unless the Administrator account isn't disabled. If it isn't disabled, and the user didn't do this specifically, then that would be another worry altogether!

When setting up win7 it will create an account for you that has certain administrator privilladges but the full administrator account will not be activated and will be hidden away, even though it may say you have an administator account.

I am not sure if this will work in safe mode, it does in "normal" mode, but here is something for you to try:

Boot up into safe mode with command prompt

At the command prompt type: net user administrator /active:yes

Once you have done this type: exit and then press enter to re-boot your computer

Hopefully when it re-boots you will see 2 user accounts, your original one and the administrator one.

When setting up win7 it will create an account for you that has certain administrator privilladges but the full administrator account will not be activated and will be hidden away, even though it may say you have an administator account.

I am not sure if this will work in safe mode, it does in "normal" mode, but here is something for you to try:

Boot up into safe mode with command prompt

At the command prompt type: net user administrator /active:yes

Once you have done this type: exit and then press enter to re-boot your computer

Hopefully when it re-boots you will see 2 user accounts, your original one and the administrator one.

good shout. but you still need to log in before the command prompt will be available.

you could try booting into recovery console (from windows cd maybe) to get to a cmd prompt.

It does let you in and you can mess with User Accounts, but Windows 7 should have disabled the Administrator Account by default, so you won't get the option to use the account anyway.
This is wrong.

The admin account is not displayed normally on the login screen when you boot, it is not, however, disabled (otherwise safe mode would be totally useless...). You can get it visible on normal boot with a registry tweak (I know, I have a PC here with it enabled...) If you boot into safe mode, it does show.

This is wrong.

The admin account is not displayed normally on the login screen when you boot, it is not, however, disabled (otherwise safe mode would be totally useless...). You can get it visible on normal boot with a registry tweak (I know, I have a PC here with it enabled...) If you boot into safe mode, it does show.

i think he means the "administrator" account is disabled by default.

the admin user you create at setup will be active and the default on logon (you cannot switch user).

just checked it with a fresh W7 pro 64 machine :)

This is wrong.

The Administrator account used to show in Windows XP when booting to Safe Mode, but it doesn't do so in Windows 7 as it is disabled by default when you first add another user account during Windows install. (Probably the same in Vista, but who cares?)

You can tweak a working computer to enable the Administrator account, which will show it on the Welcome screen in normal and safe modes. But this user doesn't have the ability to log on in either mode due to a lost password, and so doesn't have the option.

Safe Mode is fairly useless in this case. It isn't designed for lost passwords.

Safe Mode would allow you to change User Accounts settings, but only provided that you had Admin rights and, of course, that you could log on in the first place.

Ahh.. darn it... you're right... That's pretty stupid (although it does mean someone can't nick your computer, boot in safe mode and reset your password hence resetting the security...)

Some form of boot disk would probably be best, but can be pretty scary for people not knowing what they are doing...

I know, I was just clarifying for others with less computer knowledge. No offence meant, didn't mean to step on toes....

On a new laptop the scroll pad is set too sensitive when you type if your palms touch the pad it will miss spell. Try logging in by typing with one finger then turn down the sensitive on the pad.

Shane M.B.C.S

Last edited:
On a new laptop the scroll pad is set too sensitive when you type if your palms touch the pad it will miss spell. Try logging in by typing with one finger then turn down the sensitive on the pad.

Good call......

PhotoMonty said:
If that works it's brilliant! And very scary as it makes a Windows password more or less pointless.

Well found.(y)

Passwords are pretty pointless for protecting against someone who knows what they are doing having direct access to the machine. Look how easy it is to use a Linux disk. Or worst case pull the drive and access it in another machine.

They're only really a soft deterrent.

Back