Windows 10 compatibility

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
No
Currently I run an old Dell system with Windows 7 and use Lightroom 4.4 for the majority of my editing, along with PS CS6.
I will be upgrading my PC to something much faster soon, but I'm not sure whether to stick with Windows 7 or to go to Windows 10.
I will not have the funds for a Lightroom upgrade to the latest version (at the moment, but will eventually buy the standalone LR6) and I'm not signing up to Adobe's CC subscription.
So the question is, has anyone run older versions of Lightroom 4/5 on Windows 10 successfully?
I know that Windows 10 had some issues when it first came out with LR6, some of which was down to display drivers. Has anyone had other issues?

get your service tag, go to the dell support page and see if there are drivers.

my slightly old dell laptop (2nd gen i7) has lacking sata controller drivers (intel dropped support) and it caused massive disk performance issue using the stock MS one.

software wise though if it ran on 7 it should also run on 10. I ran LR5 on W10 until I went CC.

Last edited:
My old Dell PC will be retired, so it'll be a newly built system. No reason to bother checking Windows 10 drivers for the old system.
(My Dell is so old, it's pre-i3 and Core Duo, hence not worth bothering with)

If it's a new system then no reason not to go 10 as it should be designed for it. You'll probably struggle to find new machines with 7 installed anyway as it's out of mainstream support.

Probably should have specified, it'll be a new home built PC and I already have Windows 7 discs, so that's not an issue.
If I'm going to have too many issues running my current software on the new computer with Windows 10, then I just won't bother with it. Hence trying to find out if anyone has had issues with running older versions of Lightroom on Windows 10.
It's all on a tight budget, so I don't have the extra £100 for a new version of Lightroom.

As I say, ran LR5 on W10 with no issue before switching to the CC subscription.

LR GPU acceleration (which was probably the issue you mention) has never been the best on any platform anyway, people generally tend to switch it off.

Last significant update I had was a cumulative patch 9th November, but the updates for windows defender are often daily as one would expect for any AV software.

I have been considering a new tower with windows 10. As mentioned above, anything that runs with windows 7 should run on W10. Am I right in assuming PS CS5 will be ok with plugins such as Nik and topaz. Also can I ask what type of email does W10 use, as I use microsoft outlook.
Sorry AB togg, don, t wish to take over your thread.

I have been considering a new tower with windows 10. As mentioned above, anything that runs with windows 7 should run on W10. Am I right in assuming PS CS5 will be ok with plugins such as Nik and topaz. Also can I ask what type of email does W10 use, as I use microsoft outlook.
Sorry AB togg, don, t wish to take over your thread.

W10 has a built in email client by default. You won't have any issues with outlook.

Watch out with Windows Disks and licenses. You may run into trouble if you're using a license multiple times (May have to ring MS and inform them that your previous computer isn't using the license)
Note also that Windows 10 is no longer a free upgrade from Windows 7. You would need to purchase the upgrade or be stuck on 7.

FWIW I was using MS Office 2007 in W7 and it is working AOK in W10 v1607 and that includes Outlook.

From what I can recall there were updates for Office 2007 under v1511 and others in the first Windows Update when updated to v1607

Thanks for the info all, hope this is useful to you as well ABTog..

A little confused with V1511 and v1607, is this an upgrade term.

FWIW I was using MS Office 2007 in W7 and it is working AOK in W10 v1607 and that includes Outlook.

From what I can recall there were updates for Office 2007 under v1511 and others in the first Windows Update when updated to v1607

we found outlook 2010 to be fairly laggy on w10 after 1607 on several machines. it was like the display wouldn't update until you moused over.

A little confused with V1511 and v1607, is this an upgrade term.

its just different windows update levels

Back