Windows 10 movie problem

Edit My Images
No
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and everything has seemed to be ok but last night I went to look at some old video clips of the kids but only a couple of them would play fully,
some I got sound only with a black screen and the rest it said are not supported file types. The file types are .mov or .mts . Some of the ones that play fully are also .mov as well which is confusing.

They were shot on a variety of cameras , Panny TZ5, Canon S95 , Sony Nex 5n.

They won't play on Windows media player or moviemaker.

Is there a simple solution or do I now need some video editing software to see the videos?

I am a novice with video files so please be gentle.

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi. This should do the job properly, VLC player, which plays just about every type of video and audio formats there are . . . and it's free (but don't forget to untick the unwanted browser add ons before you proceed with the download, it's all harmless stuff but you won't need those): http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

.mov is a wrapper format, it can wrap just about any type of audio and video, so isn't a reliable indicator of playability.

VLC will play it.

Yes VLC should do it. As an alternative, there might be a codec pack to find and download.

Back