Windows 10 sucks donkey's ass

I've gone over to 10 on two desktops and two laptops so far and chose to do a clean install of 7Ultimate then use the usb based installer to update. All good so far and seems to fly along on all platforms (two with HDDs and two with SSDs).
Only thing I don't like is the limited options of save location and other right click menu items in Edge. That and the fact Flickr sharing doesn't work as the pop up window where you select what sort of share you want is blank, I suspect this may be a lack of flash in Edge.
Not had any hardware issues despite oldish specs, core2duo laptops and core2quad desktops and a mix of AMD and Nvidia graphics cards.

I've decided not to move from W7 until I have to. A friend of mine who works in IT has told me that W10 opens your info up to MS to a much greater extent than before. No thanks!

I've decided not to move from W7 until I have to. A friend of mine who works in IT has told me that W10 opens your info up to MS to a much greater extent than before. No thanks!
Absolutely, and it suck your bank account dry whilst offering up your children to the board of directors :p :)

Granted, MS aren't going to be listening in on my phone calls and stalking me round Tesco at the weekend, but there definitely is more intrusion, so I've been told. Until that's clarified I'm staying away.

Granted, MS aren't going to be listening in on my phone calls and stalking me round Tesco at the weekend, but there definitely is more intrusion, so I've been told. Until that's clarified I'm staying away.
It's clarified earlier in this thread and widely published online. Basically no different than any other voice control system from apple or Google where the processing take place online. If you are truly concerned about that you can just switch it off.

Unlike your phone which is giving away your details to anyone that asks for it.... :rolleyes:

Apple Samsung HTC Sony all have your info and any website you visit. :D

It's clarified earlier in this thread and widely published online. Basically no different than any other voice control system from apple or Google where the processing take place online. If you are truly concerned about that you can just switch it off.
Thank you. I missed that bit (reading on my phone, must've skipped it somewhere ). I'll go back, read it and consider...

Unlike your phone which is giving away your details to anyone that asks for it.... :rolleyes:

Apple Samsung HTC Sony all have your info and any website you visit. :D
I'm an Android user, and sometimes get a bit of paranoia about how much data Google is sucking up. Perils of modern life I guess.

...and you can opt to turn most of that crap off when you install Windows 10.

Definitely some more reading required by me, in that case.

If you plan on formatting and starting again, which I opted to do anyway as I always see it as an opportunity for a spring clean, then why not create a dual boot system? That's what I'm doing here. I'm evaluating 10, but still have my 8 install.

If you plan on formatting and starting again, which I opted to do anyway as I always see it as an opportunity for a spring clean, then why not create a dual boot system? That's what I'm doing here. I'm evaluating 10, but still have my 8 install.

Tempting - would an upgrade keep all my other software intact? That would definitely be the easier option, but I guess not without risk of something going awry. I've always gone for clean installs before.

Tempting - would an upgrade keep all my other software intact? That would definitely be the easier option, but I guess not without risk of something going awry. I've always gone for clean installs before.

Not if you format the drive and start again, no. There is software available that will add another partition to an existing drive though... assuming you have the space. Partition Magic springs to mind.

I'd do a back up first though... which anyone sensible would be doing any way. I don't mean backing up date and images etc.. but a full system back you you can restore from.

ok so ive just tried updating to windows 10 on my pc again, i tried it a few weeks back, it installed but i was getting tonnes of errors and lockups so i went back to win 7. In the hope patches have fixed things i tried again. Upgrading from Win 7, it installed, seems to have activated ok but when i try to change things like screen resolutions i get a message popup "your trial period for this app has expired, please visit the shop to buy the full app" The start button also doesnt appear when i click the windows icon. If i right click it i can get the control panel and other things.

Not only does it do that but the upgrade doesnt seem to have built a windows 7 recovery so i cant rollback!

So am i borked! I dont really want to do a clean install of windows 7 and start over.

Have you performed a sfc.exe /scannow to ensure your permissions are correct and restarted your machine? Also have you got a Microsoft account setup and logged in with it and the store?

Things are going swimmingly at my place, with a Surface Pro 3, Frankenstein home-built tower gaming/photo processing PC, and an ASUS Windows 8" tablet all upgraded to Windows 10.

Some drivers weren't ready on day 1, but have come down as updates since. Got a new NVidia driver today for example. I think the Surface Pro 3 wifi driver needs an update too.

The Edge browser is fast and clean, and doesn't hog resources like Chrome. The new UI is nice, much more usable than Win8.

Microsoft have backported a lot of the telemetry collection into Windows 7-8.1. If you search carefully, you'll find a list of updates and you can remove/hide them as appropriate.

There's an article circulating that goes into quote a lot of detail about the telemetry data that's collected. If it's true, Windows 10 is alarmingly invasive. The article was from a dubious source, so I'm not offering a link to it.

I've upgraded 3 of the machines in this household without any issue. I've disabled as many of the privacy invading features as I can and I've also played some whack-a-mole sink-holing domains that telemetry data gets sent to - but that's futile. If Microsoft want the data, they'll still get it. All they have to do is slip a few new domains into the next update. Or even use a domain for telemetry collection that windows relies on for other things, such as Windows Update.

At home, 90% of my own computer use is with Linux. My photo editing telemetry will be really rather dull.

Back