Windows 10 Update 2004

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Windows started updating to version 2004 at about 09:30 but seems to have been stuck on 89% complete for the last few hours. Is this the normal behaviour for updating Windows installed on a laptop with an old-fashioned HDD? Should I just leave it to continue or should I intervene in some way? Any help gratefully received!

It can take a very long time, particularly with an HDD. I would go and adjust your power settings to stop it turning itself off and leave it overnight before being tempted to intervene.

I updated mine with version 2004 yesterday and like you it stayed at 89% for ages(hours). Can't remember how long but it eventually moved on taking some more time to get to 100%. After that everything seems to be ok except the sound from my headphones. It is different for sure but I can't exactly say in what way.

Thanks for all the help so far. I left it running overnight and it's still on 89% after something like 18 hours so I guess it's broken. Any further suggestions welcome:)

Really depends on on the value of the data you might lose, from personal experience I’d say the odds are better than 50/50 youll not lose your data, with a hard -owner off and restart

Thanks Matt. I did a hard off and turned it back on to find that it's now undoing all the changes made to my computer. Fortunately it has no data on it as I only use it for web browsing with data all stored on my desktop (backed-up onto a NAS and external HDD). As you may have gathered this is way outside my comfort zone so I needed someone with more knowledge to make the same suggestion as my gut-instinct was telling me.

Be wary Windows will try again to install the update... best to disable automatic updates whilst Microsoft sort the issues and issue a patch. Open settings / windows update/ pause for 7 days

If you have Windows back running you can try the update troubleshooter.

Final report back: it's now finished undoing all the changes made to my computer and I've started it normally and shut it down again with everything working normally. Thanks for the warning Steve, I'll look at that tomorrow.

I've seen quite a few customers with 2004 issues. Good old Microsoft, I can always rely on them to keep me in business.
Nice and busy a couple of weeks back when an update stopped people being able to print. Took them 2 weeks to issue a fix update. I must have removed and hidden the offending update on 15 machines in that time.
Cheers Bill. :beer:

Just a bit of advice. Google "win10 media creation tool" and download it. It gives you the option to create the latest version of installation media on to a usb stick ( 8gb+).
Its bootable, so if win10 is a real mess back up your data, insert the usb (may have to change bios settings to allow legacy boot), boot from the usb, delete all the partions. (Win10 will rebuild what it needs) and reinstall the latest win10 version. Saves much heartache. (Obviously you will have to reload your printer and other progs, still better than chasing your tail)
Any questions gimme a shout.

Back