Windows 11 - Searching from Taskbar peculiarity

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
I got a new PC last week - W11 OS. It is running just fine as far as I can tell.

I intended to search for a few documents and programs on my PC today.
When I right click on Start (or use Windows key + S) to bring up the search box it appears normally with "Type here to search" displayed. However, as soon as put the cursor in the search box a pre-loaded search for "Act of Independence of Central America" appears.

I thought that search box related only to data on the PC and not the web at large.

Strange thing is that "Act of Independence of Central America" in the search box cannot be selected then deleted like any unwanted text entry, but it entirely disappears when I start to type over it.

My first thoughts were that some sort of hijacking malware was at work, but an AVG scan does not reveal any problem.

Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks for your time.

Both W10 & 11 are very do everything & 'connected' to the internet.

When I am searching for local files I always do Windows key & E to open windows explorer and use the search box there.

PS though I wonder is there a setting in/for the Win & S key to define the search to 'local' only?

PPS but as for the pre populated and uneditable search field that does seem to be an oddity :thinking:

Edit ~ it has been a while since I bought a branded PC but IIRC it was the case that there was a new PC start up that you then configured "to make it yours", was that the case for you? If not was it perhaps a returned and resold item?

Last edited:
Act of Independence of Central America - enacted 15 September 1821.

It will probably change tomorrow - it should have my birthday come up in April :)

To disable this do the following:

Go to settings > click on privacy & security > under windows permissions click on search permissions > scroll down to more settings and where it say's show search highlights, toggle this to off

Act of Independence of Central America - enacted 15 September 1821.

It will probably change tomorrow - it should have my birthday come up in April :)
Give that man a:jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa::jaffa: or few :)

Thank you all : Box Brownie, Philip, Kev and Milo King .

I do like W11, but I think that MS could benefit from some education in keeping things simple.

I've just updated to Windows 11 after constant nagging from Microsoft and not really liking it. I miss live tiles and being able to sort them into sections, a few taskbar icons remain hidden such as live temps unless I manually drag to the taskbar, but it will reset upon a PC restart. Can't ungroup open applications showing in the taskbar and the right click context menu feels like an extra shortcut menu has been shoved in there unnecessarily. I'm sure I'll come across more.

I've heard there may be a few updates to address the taskbar stuff but live tiles is not returning.

For a great search program to search local and connected drives (USB etc), instead of the Windows Search system, try "SearchEverything" from Voidtools. It's brilliant and faster than an E-Type Jag using rocket fuel :)

Back