Windows 7 and Right-click image protection

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
First of all, apologies if this has already been covered, I couldn't see any reference to it, so thought it was worth a mention.

As photographers we all do as much as we can to stop people taking our pictures without consent and one of those ways is disabling the right-click function through our gallery software. I recently caused some confusion for poor MD by posting one of his pictures here using a hotlink. The confusion arose from the fact the right click that normally allows you see the picture properties, save it, copy it, etc, was disabled. Except on my laptop currently running the RC version of soon to be on sale Windows 7, it isn't!! Armed with this information, I check my own galleries, same problem. I checked one of the well known motorsport websites that blocks right clicking on all articles to prevent people copying their articles to other website, forcing you to use a link instead, same thing, I can highlight the text of the article, right click, select copy, and then paste that text anywhere I want. :thinking:

In the name of research I have checked this is the same in the three different browsers I have available on this machine, Opera, Firefox and IE8 and it is, all allow the right-click function to operate.

So, whilst I know [before anyone tells me] this isn't the only way to protect your images, it is one of the more obvious ways to protect them from the average computer user [as opposed to the more techie user] and most of the popular gallery software applications have a disable option, its seems its not compatible with Windows 7 atm, so if you use fairly standard html galleries, it may be an issue. For several reasons I use a mix, my flash galleries are fine, html galleries are right-clickable even where its technically disabled.

This is really just a heads up, I would like to think that its something software designers are working on and perhaps those that know more about this kind of thing can advise on as I am guessing it isn't just my machine that is being particularly clever. I am assuming its the OS that is making the difference as the browsers are the same as those i am using with XP on my desktop, and all is well on that, no right click available where it isn't meant to be available. Any more info from the better infromed would be welcome ;)

Yv

Cheers, suspected as much. Wonder what's changed... Oh, you don't appear in the logs at all. Looks like Windows 7 is being very stealthy or has most of the scripting turned off by default :shrug:

:shrug: no idea. I have changed nothing on it since installing, so whatever it is is defualt settings.

pxl8.jpg

will nuke this if you want but just to show you I was there and whats happening.

The protection is only there for IE really, anyone who's installed a new browser probably has the wits to sidestep the protection anyway so it's not worth it.

With IE a right click should take you to this page: www.shootingpixels.net/security.html which is really just so I can keep a log of how many people are right clicking on images, latest stats are around 8x as many right clicks as sales :eek:

The protection is only there for IE really, anyone who's installed a new browser probably has the wits to sidestep the protection anyway so it's not worth it.

With IE a right click should take you to this page: www.shootingpixels.net/security.html which is really just so I can keep a log of how many people are right clicking on images, latest stats are around 8x as many right clicks as sales :eek:

:LOL: if you are ONLY getting 8 times as many clicks as sales, I dont think its a problem ;)

its just weird the way it is all diferent depending on os and browser...never had opera running on Xp for instance, so can't compare and usually avoid IE [of any vintage] apart from when checking new webpage designs work in it ...madness I tell ya, madness!

I bet that goes up a bit as people click on the link like I did :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

cheers

Firefox on a Mac does nothing with a right click, Safari (4) takes you to your "Naughty Naughty" page

Right clicking also works on all of these running Firefox in Ubuntu 9.04.

Maybe for HTML galleries it's worth looking into what Flickr do; they have a 1x1 transparent GIF called "spaceball" which they position over the image so if you try and copy the picture, you copy the "spaceball" instead of the actual picture. This would be easy to implement if your gallery system has default dimensions for every picture or if the system stores the image dimensions in a database. Of course, you could just use PHP GD to find the dimensions, however; I feel that may be a bit too complex just to protect your images which could be stolen in a million ways if someone really wanted.

Sorry for blabbing on a bit there :p

it is showing me the page you refered to pxl8, and i am running Windows 7 with IE.

Yep, can see the log entry. I suspect Yv must have javascript disabled as she doesn't even appear in the stats which also use a script to record the hits.

Maybe for HTML galleries it's worth looking into what Flickr do...
[snip]

My aim isn't to waste time trying to stop people getting the images, anyone can get them with a little knowledge, but to "fool" people into thinking they've been caught. A right click is the first thing people will try, if they then see a warning a bit of paranoia sets in. I've had friends looking at the site call me in a panic with some far fetched reasons as to why they were trying to get at files so I pretty happy the system serves as a deterrent (y)

It also, as stated, helps me track the number of attempts compared to visits, etc.

Frustrating as it is even basic users can take a screenshot and copy images. Subtle watermarking and low res. images would be the way to go imo. But even that can be Photoshopped out with time and dedication.

Back