Windows 7 and windows 8

Name
Mandy
Edit My Images
Yes
Can some one please help me I have a windows 7 PC and a windows 8 laptop and I can't get them fully talking to each other. I go through the set up for both machines they find each other on my net work and I think I am all done. Only to be told I don't have permissions to access the folders I have tried mapping the drive all sorts I am now frustrated. All I'd like to do as I used to do on my previous systems is get access to my photos and things with out having to waste time hunting data sticks

Setting up a homegroup is the simplest way to get a basic home network working. You'll find it in control panel.

having you configured the sharing options on both PC's via the control panel? - Networking and Sharing center (on Win7 at least) and selected some folder to share on the PC you want to access (right click on folder you want to share>properties>sharing then select appropriate option)?

I sometimes have bother with this but only if I'm setting up a new folder to share, generally the homegroup works OK.

Easiest thing to try is switch off your firewalls on all the machines.

Next one is to make sure you ticked EVERYBODY in your permissions.

Homegroups are easy to setup and use in my opinion, far easier than it use to be and the network traffic appears to be faster.

Having set all the machines up on the same Homegroup you'll need to get each machine to share the folders you want to see across the Homegroup. Open Windows Explorer on the machine in question and right click on the folder you want to share. Select the Option to Share With and make your choice from the options shown.

set up a user account on each machine that match the other machines username and passwords.
This should work - the two machines see you as the same person then.

You can also add a Windows credential to allow auto-logon to a remote machine. Control Panel->Credentials Manager->Add a Windows Credential and then add the name/logon details of the remote machine. I'm not sure how easy this is to do if you don't use passwords though. This would allow you to have different logins on the two machines but still access them remotely.

An alternative may be to set the permissions to allow any user to see the files when you share (right click->Share With->Advanced Sharing->Sharing->Advanced Sharing->Permissions and set Everyone to Full Control). You should also be able to add the remote user here too. This should work, but I don't setup my network this way...

BTW: Windows networking is notoriously bad with dealing with no passwords. That is, if you haven't set a password, it can often be really hard to connect to something remotely. It may sound counter intuitive, but....

Sounds like firewall settings to me. I get the same sort of windows messages with Kaspersky until I change the local network to 'trusted'.
You could briefly turn off the firewall on the PC that you can't connect to (or both PC's) and see if it works.

Last edited:
My network is named home and is set to allow all computers and devices to use the connection, the main PC is called Mandy and the laptop is called Mandy's so I can tell which machines which. Now that I have caught up with my to do list since being ill from Boxing Day onwards I will have look at it later on.

This should work - the two machines see you as the same person then.

You can also add a Windows credential to allow auto-logon to a remote machine. Control Panel->Credentials Manager->Add a Windows Credential and then add the name/logon details of the remote machine. I'm not sure how easy this is to do if you don't use passwords though. This would allow you to have different logins on the two machines but still access them remotely.

An alternative may be to set the permissions to allow any user to see the files when you share (right click->Share With->Advanced Sharing->Sharing->Advanced Sharing->Permissions and set Everyone to Full Control). You should also be able to add the remote user here too. This should work, but I don't setup my network this way...

BTW: Windows networking is notoriously bad with dealing with no passwords. That is, if you haven't set a password, it can often be really hard to connect to something remotely. It may sound counter intuitive, but....

I have a password on my windows 8 machine as it logs me on via my windows live email address. My main PC does not have a password on it as I like it to fire straight into windows.

It may just be a kaspersky thing but every new PC I've installed it on blocks networking just as described above. PC is visible and has shares enabled but connecting from another PC on the network gets no permission contact administrator etc. message... until firewall settings in kaspersky are changed. Might be the same with other AV softwares own firewall too is all I was thinking.

Does the new PC have an antivirus program installed?

The PC is not new it's a year old now and the laptop is nearly a year old and they both mirror each other in terms of the software that's on them. My broadband is provided by talk talk so there for both machines run talk talks antivirus f secure I have gone through my antivirus settings to allow both machines to talk to each other.

Back