Windows 8.1 - the Start button returns....

.......l

No option to ignore so had to make up a virtual person :p

Nah.. there's another option.. forget what it is now. You can just be a local user as with every other Windows OS...just as Neil says. Either way, I did NOT have to input a MS e-mail address.. or any address for that matter.

Will have a better look the next time I build one but the OS installation was not the same as any, all the way back to Win 95!

Not alphabetical on XP, in order of install unless you manually initiate a sort.

Also do I need to see all the utilities and software I don't directly use?

How about a start menu with just the bits you want and use?

Yes 7 sorted it in most used, but it can take a while to be in the order you want and you can also pin things.

Windows 8 just makes life easier for non tech people and hides so much crap you don't need.

Whenever I install something on Win8 it automatically creates tiles like old start menu items, the difference being they are all pinned to Metro rather than being in a nice neat folder.

An example: my HP printer software install pinned eight tiles, and only one was for the actual program!

You have to do your own housekeeping with most installs in Metro. Another reason I hate it. It just dumps everything there... not in folders... just there. If there's away around this I never found it before I got bored of trying.

They are in folder Pookeyhead :confused:

There is the All apps organised into folders and then your tiles.

Windows - the program that when you want to stop using it, you press the Start button. Genius! :bonk:
No wonder it's so complicated to use.:D

Wow, that's new and original ;)

Also in Windows 8 you don't click on Start to turn off the machine :)

I wouldn't know as thankfully I rarely use Windows anymore.:D

Ahh part of the global domination that is OSX (whose global share dropped last year :LOL: )

It was the tone of.....thankfully I rarely use Windows and the smiley

Of course your aim when you posted in this thread was purely constructive....

It was the tone of.....thankfully I rarely use Windows and the smiley

Of course your aim when you posted in this thread was purely constructive....

Unlike your "Wow, that's new and original" constructive comment. ;)

Anyway, I don't want to hijack a thread and turn it into another tedious Mac vs Windows debate. That's been done many times before and I'm sure many times again.
The thread is about the Windows Start button which I used to find amusing that you pressed Start to stop the machine. End of. :)

Microsoft said:
The Start menu is the main gateway to your computer's programs, folders, and settings. It's called a menu because it provides a list of choices, just as a restaurant menu does. And as "Start" implies, it's often the place that you'll go to start or open things.

Start implies starting something. In turning the machine off, you have to start turning the machine off...

Much like the beginning of the end

:tumbleweed:

Surely Win8 was designed more for touch screens and tablets than mouse/trackpad use? Got 2 machines here at the moment, this one running 8 on a touchscreen and an older netbook running XP with a mouse (don't like the trackpad on that machine so use a wireless mouse on it.)

I'm with Neil, what's so wrong about having the choice of having a start button or not. No need to try and force your vision of progress onto customers, might look your trying to dictate, that ended badly for MS last time.

As for teaching computers to beginners, not planning changing my 72yr old father's os, like ever :)

Thanks god the start menu is not returning. Using Windows 8 is so much quicker without one.
I run basic computer classes and the stat menu is one thing new users really struggle with is using the start menu, especially one that cascades to 3 or 4 layers so I can understand why Microsoft have ditched the old fashioned start menu.
So much this! I just don't get the hate for the "lack" of start button. If you press the Win key, or now the "new" start button in 8.1, it simply takes you to a tiled area where your key apps are located in groups of your choosing. Rather than a multi layered menu system with a myriad of apps some of which you will never use.

The ability to group just the apps I want into meaningful groups (e.g. photo, music etc.),to be able get to them with one click/tap, not to have to see all the other crap ("Unistall XYZApp" etc.) and which I can modify/rearrange/add to/delete from at my pleasure is a wonderfully intuitive interface.

An example: my HP printer software install pinned eight tiles, and only one was for the actual program!
And unlike W7/XP you can tidy that up in W8. Right click and "Unpin from Start". Then move the one app you do want into whichever group of apps you wish. I have one called "Tools". Move that group wherever you wish too. The rest can always be found by Win+Q and a search.

THose same 8 apps were installed on XP/W7, the onyl difference being you always saw them on the sub, sub, sub menu folder unless you set about the Start menu, which is not for the faint hearted.

Even after all these years, I can still see a certain irony in having to go to "Start" in order to stop the computer as that's where the Shut Down button is.

A bit like that time when I had a Tiny PC (*cringe*) which ran Windows 98 and once when I put in a new AGP graphics card, a BIOS type menu popped up saying "Keyboard missing - Press F1 to continue".

And unlike W7/XP you can tidy that up in W8.

of course you can.

Even after all these years, I can still see a certain irony in having to go to "Start" in order to stop the computer as that's where the Shut Down button is.

A bit like that time when I had a Tiny PC (*cringe*) which ran Windows 98 and once when I put in a new AGP graphics card, a BIOS type menu popped up saying "Keyboard missing - Press F1 to continue".

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5609403&postcount=47

;)

I think you will find there are still a lot of home users on XP.

Yes you can pin, but the tiles work better.

What works best on both 7 and 8 it is hitting the start key, type part if name and hit enter :)

Yep this computer is still on XP (the wifes) no reason to change does everything she needs
Mine is windows 7, to be honest dont like the look of 8 at all!

I've made the switch to Windows 8, I've been sticking with 7 till now, and even 'downgraded' my laptop to W7 when I got it. I'm fairly happy, the performance seems snappy, I've got it booting straight to the desktop, I've got my classic start menu installed and I never stumble across the metro interface. That said, if I wasn't able to avoid all the tiles and stuff I definitely would be sticking with W7.

Still got my parents' computer running W7 though, simply because they now know how to use it and I don't want to change anything that results in them needing my help!

Back