Windows and doors.

Hi, Märkisches Gymnasium (Grammar School) in Schwelm/D, the two leftmost windows belong too the headmaster's office :

L1021064_DxO-v12-c-tp.jpg

Hi, there used to be a door in the city-walls of Fladungen/D :

L1020592_DxO-L21a-c-tp.jpg

The Plaque on the wall says this was the house in Southwark that Christopher Wren lived in whilst building St Paul's Cathedral - which is not true.
However, the name Cardinal's Wharf may have been associated with Cardinal Wolsey, although it's origins are uncertain.
ChristopherWrensHouse by Brian Gibson, on Flickr

private chapel, High Legh.

It's a bit like going back to schooldays seeing the photos of this, Dunham, Thelwall Ferry Hut (used to wind up 'Rocket' Ron on Rose Queen day asking him to take us back and forth.

I've photographed the other two chapels in High Legh...and the watertower when it was empy.

Anyway, better add another so I'll make it a Cheshire one.

mill.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bit like going back to schooldays seeing the photos of this, Dunham, Thelwall Ferry Hut (used to wind up 'Rocket' Ron on Rose Queen day asking him to take us back and forth.

I've photographed the other two chapels in High Legh...and the watertower when it was empy.

Anyway, better add another so I'll make it a Cheshire one.

View attachment 268563

Hi Iain

I'm glad these brought back memories for you - happy ones I hope. You say the other two chapels, do you mean the church and the retreat?

Where was your image taken?

Cheers,

Howard

Hi Iain

I'm glad these brought back memories for you - happy ones I hope. You say the other two chapels, do you mean the church and the retreat?

Where was your image taken?

Yes....I'm too young to remember the West Hall and there are a lot more houses round there nowadays.

The Nags Head is at the top of Eagle Brow on the left just before the junction with Church Road/Booths Hill Road.
If gateways were to be included with doors there was a good one just along Church Road but recently they seem to have demolished it, the wall and older trees which bounded the old drill hall (cinema when I was kid). That does remind me of another door for the thread though - the one on the boundary of the old Baycliff House. I know the doorway in it's sandstone surround is still there but I haven't photographed it since the early 1970s. I know I haven't got a print of that photo but perhaps I'll dig the negs out sometime!

Again, to keep to the topic..window, door, it could even go in Art Deco.
One of the doors onto the public viewing deck on the 1932 Control Tower at Barton Aerodrome (probably the oldest airfeld control tower still in use for it's original purpose?)

b.jpg

Last edited:
By the Bridgewater Canal, Agden near Lymm
Next to one of the bridges that retains it's crane and shutter boards - maybe because it wasn't far from there that the canal collapsed in 1970 (or there abouts). National Boat Rally was held in Lymm to help raise funds to repair and re-open the canal.

How about another Lymm one? Not a very good photo. I was suited and booted and to get to it had to climb a fence, crawl through a gap in a wall, step through some manky looking goo!
doorway.jpg

Hi,

Next to one of the bridges that retains it's crane and shutter boards - maybe because it wasn't far from there that the canal collapsed in 1970 (or there abouts). National Boat Rally was held in Lymm to help raise funds to repair and re-open the canal.

How about another Lymm one? Not a very good photo. I was suited and booted and to get to it had to climb a fence, crawl through a gap in a wall, step through some manky looking goo!
View attachment 269897

My word that is dedication!!!! So where is this?

You are right about the bridge. I didn't know about the canal collapsing, it was before we came up north. I'd never heard of the Old Boathouse Inn, I wonder how old it is.

Cheers,

Howard

Dedication...well, I knew it was there having seen it around 45 years earlier so seized the opportunity as I was walking near the town centre.

The pub (Groves & Whitnall's Ales) was built mid 1800's and converted to houses post WWII. If there is anyone in the 'heritage centre' (I remember the space before the British Legion was built) who has lived in Lymm longer than five minutes perhaps they'll know more.
Fairly sure it was 1971 the canal collapsed...it's a vgue memory though we did cycle over to have a look.

Of course, this means I must add another image. One of my favourite doors, a solid sandstone flag (more like the Haslingden series than the 'new red sandstone' which the room is carved into)

flag.jpg

Last edited:
Back