Windows Home Server specs leaked

Surprised none of you are interested in this to be honest. A home network attached storage server with 1 terabyte of diskspace to backup your photos to for £374, with expansion up to 6Tb!

Bargain!

Well I (think !) would certainly be interested but ... :cautious: ... and I may be being really, really stoopid here ... :thinking: ... what's the difference between this thing and a 'normal' Desktop PC thingy ... :shrug:

If one ignores the terrybiteshardstuff ... :D

:p

For those here with a Mac - this is already available if you use the Airport Extreme wifi station as it has a USB port on the rear allowing you to directly connect any external USB2 drive thus making it available to any machines on the network - including windows machines.

You can always go and purchase an external drive with Ethernet connection as well - then connect that to the back of your router (if you have one).

Don't need to use a Microsoft product to accomplish this.

Well I (think !) would certainly be interested but ... :cautious: ... and I may be being really, really stoopid here ... :thinking: ... what's the difference between this thing and a 'normal' Desktop PC thingy ... :shrug:

If one ignores the terrybiteshardstuff ... :D

This should give you an overview of the main functionality

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/features.mspx

It's not exactly a new concept, you can already buy network attached storage devices that do everything this does (and more) but those devices are generally aimed at more technical users.

Windows Home Server goes a bit further in simplifying the process for non techies, if you like.

Once a few more third party developers start writing extra software for these devices, there should be a lot more functionality added

So it is a smart router with a hard drive? or do you still need a wireless router for your home network?

Like the idea of secure remote access built in - if it is secure of course.

Basically it would go like this internet -> home server -> your computers as opposed to internet ->router/modem -> your computers.

The server will hopefully add better security and more control over what is happening between you and the internet. It will also serve as a massive storage centre for your whole network.

You could rip every dvd you own onto the server for example, then access that off any pc in the house at any time, which adds serious benefits if you run your tv off a small media pc which you can do for less than £300.

could be used to backup anything really, including photos

Thanx Ross & MW ... (y) ... clarity is over the horizon beyond the mudflats ... :D

So would such a beast make my BT Home Hub redundant then ... :shrug:

It's not a router. I have done a quick Visio diagram to show how it would integrate with your home network

whsvw8.jpg

Another good selling point is that it can performs full backups of your attached workstations or laptops, so you can restore your entire operating system, applications, settings, files and folders directly from the WHS simply by booting from the WHS boot cd. Think of it as a more advanced version of XP's system restore.

It's pretty cool for the average consumer really.

Ross - how does it provide secure access from the net? If you have to configure the router to do it then what is the point? Might as well have a simple NAS drive like I use currently or use a PC on the lan.

interesting

sony are having an add-on for the ps3 that turns the ps3 into a hd ready twin tuner pvr, as well as a streamer to psp

Ross - how does it provide secure access from the net? If you have to configure the router to do it then what is the point? Might as well have a simple NAS drive like I use currently or use a PC on the lan.

Your router will need ports configuring if it isn't setup for UPnP

As I said, it's not a product many techies would be interested in and if you already have a QNAP or similar then it's a waste of time. But for those looking for automatic backups of all their desktops and laptops, plus the ability to stream music and video to xbox360 or any other suitable device...I would say it's ideal :D

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=244

Back