Windows update?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I keep getting this message. Anyone done it?
It always pops up at an inconvenient moment, and I don't know when will be convenient, so I keep pressing "Snooze".
What does it do, how long does it take and will it bring my world to an end?
Is there somewhere I can go to get this update short of stating a time in the future when they deem to ask me?

?Screenshot 2017-07-15 09.26.09.png

If you're worried about applying the update, you can create a "restore point" first. Type in "restore point" in the search bar at the bottom left of the screen to find out more. This allows you to restore your computer to the state if was before you applied the Windows update. In general it's a good idea to apply Windows updates because they will patch known security vulnerabilities that could be exploited by viruses or ransomware software. One reason the WannaCry ransomware attack was so devastating is because many organisations are still using Windows XP for which no security updates are available anymore.

Just checked my own restore points and it appears that a Windows update that I applied on 12/7 has automatically created a restore point...

Is that the "announcement" that W10 Creators Edition makes if it is ready (?) to install?

No you get the message if you keep snoozing/hibernating rather than shut down as updates wont be getting applied.
Ah!

Though for some updates 'shut down & start' does not "do it" and only a Restart completes that update......such is the idiosyncrasy of W10 shutdown not being truly shutdown!

Thanks all.
I looked in settings for updates and it said (As Neil suggested) that it needed to "Re-Start" to complete updates already installed. I had assumed that "Switching it off and on again" performed that function.
I've just checked in settings again and it says "No updates available"...Fingers crossed all will be well. :ty:

W10 shut down is I learned is actually a hybrid process that AFAIK is partially a sleep/hibernate that is why W10 starts so quickly. Thinking about it, it might have been @neil_g that told me that elsewhere?

W10 shut down is I learned is actually a hybrid process that AFAIK is partially a sleep/hibernate that is why W10 starts so quickly. Thinking about it, it might have been @neil_g that told me that elsewhere?
not sure if that was me but correct. only a restart does a cold startup process (unless you tell windows to shutdown completely via an option somewhere).

shutdown does still install updates (normally says "install updates and shutdown" or something similar on the start button)

It’s just happened to me. The computer took 4 hours to download another unwanted load of bloat ware. I’m angry and told them so.

could be an iffy driver. a cold boot will re-load all drivers

Nope, tried all that. Reinstalled everything. Works fine after a complete shut down, then do a normal shutdown and it loses it. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem and only happened after the last big update, so maybe a future update will fix it (was that a pig I just saw fly past?)

"If you have fast startup turned on, then this option will perform a hybrid shutdown instead of a full shutdown.

If you do, then you can press and hold the Shift key, click/tap on Shut down, and release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown."

Can you disable fast startup? I don't remember having seen the option, or maybe I've not looked in the right place. I'm on the normal bog standard W10, not a Pro version if there is one. Chances of me remembering to use the shift key when I shut down are less than zero....
The only problem I have with doing a full shut down and start is that the first screen that comes up has a default image, not my own. Just a mild annoyance, not a show stopper, but my image is better..........

Back