Windows XP Problem

Edit My Images
No
I am hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem that my Uncle is having with his PC.

As far as he has described it, he turn it on and it goes to the splash screen where you select which user to login. It's here that he says he get a message popup that says 'Other people are logged on to this computer. Shutting down Windows may cause them to lose data'. Not sure what to do at this point.

I am praying this isn't a virus but as they are noobs to computers it wouldn't surprise me. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Alex

It sounds like its been in sleep mode not switched off, should be able to just switch it off properly, when he shuts it down what does he actually choose ? Standby ? Hibernate ? or Turn Off ? How many users are listed on the startup screen ? do any of them say Programs running under them ? if they do log in as that user and shut down from there !

Otherwise just power it off, completely, if all esle fails pull the power out, its not recommended and shouldnt be normally done but you need to make sure it is actually off! leave it off for a minute and then switch back on and let us know if it still says others are connected !

I'm assuming he hasn't got a LAN with multiple machines so I would just shut it down and restart it.

Beneath the user on the logon screen should be a statement that lists the programs open by one of th users - just login as that user close any applications that are open and then logout and login as the user he normally uses.

It shouldnt be a virus, it just sounds like hes shutdown while another account still has an application running.

Thanks all.

I talked him through it over the phone and this was basically what he said.

On the screen was the message as mentioned with Yes/No options. He tried No and it did nothing. He tried to close the window with the X but it did nothing. Then he tried Yes and it cleared the message, leaving the logon screen that said there was 2 programs running.

When he logged in it came to the main screen but no icons appeared, neither did the Start option. Tried Ctrl+Alt+Del but nothing so got him to pull the power and do a hard reboot.

All came back OK so I am hoping this was a USER error rather than anything more sinister.

Thanks

Alex

In Control Panel / User Accounts you can disable "Fast User Switching" by going into the "Change the way users log on or off" option. Which will restrict it to only one user at a time to use the PC.

Back