Windsurfing

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Popped over to Draycote Water near Rugby today in the hope of taking some shots of anglers in boats and also to see if I could get close enough to the resident kestrel that hangs around inthe boat yard. It was blowing a proper hoolie so only one fishing boat was out, but there were loads of windsurfers on the water so thought I'd hang around and see what my new 70-200mm f/2.8 Sigma could do....

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0824.jpg

DSC_07671.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0906.jpg

DSC_0896.jpg

DSC_09161.jpg

DSC_1012.jpg

DSC_09401.jpg

DSC_0941.jpg

Have never done any long lens shooting of fast moving objects before - now I appreciate how sports photographers really do have to learn technique to get the right shot.

Struggled a little bit getting a focus lock at time unless the sail was side-on. When they're heading straight to you, Ifound it a little difficult to get the focus point dead on. Mind you, the wind was really buffeting the lens and I'm only just getting used to holding that much glass.

All shot at ISO 200, 1/100th (approx) at f/5.6 on aperture priority with -0.3 exposure compensation. The images are pretty much straight from the camera bar a little sharpening in the RAW software and cropping. The D200 certainly focusses fast with that len, but struggled a little when I had it on the far right or left focusing point. Will also have to work on my panning technique*–*had some total shockers!!

Was going to head over to Mallory Park for the motorsport, but think I may go back and watch the windsurfers again and try to do some more intimate portraits too. They seemed a good bunch; a few were interested in what I was doing and seemed genuinely pleased that they had a lens pointed at them.

Think I like 1, 5 and 9 the best. Took 490 shots in total so still have to sift through loads – ahh, the beauty of having 5fps!!!

Last edited:
When you have it on the motordrive you kind of think the camera will just do everything for you, but you really do have to pick your moment with these guys, as they were flying across the water. Think I'll cut down on the number of shots, be more selective when I press the shutter and take more time to make sure each one is spot-on.

An excellent series of shots - Wow that lens is soooo sharp ! #5 is my fave
:clap:

Bazzer, I'm seriously impressed with that lens, and at £400 I think I can live with not buying the Nikon version. Focussing is super-fast too.

Gotta love that lens - mine is great!

Numbers five and eight for me - for different reasons although you have gotta love his hat!

Cracking series,

Chris

Dogyakker, used again yesterday for some products shots for a magazine shoot and it's just a solid performer. Super sharp and I'm finally getting used to holding all that glass!! :)

Best £400 i've spent in ages..

I got my 70-200 this afternoon, torrential rain ever since so i havent had much of a play. Just hope I can get shots as clean as yours.
Allan

Back