Winter drawers on!

Edit My Images
Yes
Felt a chill at Felixstowe yesterday - just a query about gloves - do people use them and if so which type?

I use fingerless thinsulate ones bought from Millets for £5:99, they do for me. But depends on the individual, how cold their hands get!

Wish I had had a pair on me on Saturday. Was photographing the Beachy Head Marathon, and was right up on top of the cliff, near Exceat. Luckily had my back to the wind.

Was wearing;
Nike Body armour top
HH thermal long-johns
HH thermal top
T-shirt
Shorts over the long-johns
Berghaus Jacket
Berghaus waterproof trousers
Dear Hunter hat

But most of all, needed some gloves!! Little finger went white after about an hour, but I managed to bring it back to life!!!

Shooting gloves, with the trigger finger slit so that it folds back.

I've got a pair of these:

http://www.windsorproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=78

While they keep the hands nice and warm, I'm not a fan of fingerless now for photography so will be getting some new gloves for the winter

Used to have a really great pair of silk ski undergloves, they were absolutely perfect, thin enough to change controls on the camera but kept the hands nice and warm. Had them for years and they started to get holey at the fingertip. If I could find a pair of them again, I would get them

I've got a pair of these:

http://www.windsorproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=78

While they keep the hands nice and warm, I'm not a fan of fingerless now for photography so will be getting some new gloves for the winter

Used to have a really great pair of silk ski undergloves, they were absolutely perfect, thin enough to change controls on the camera but kept the hands nice and warm. Had them for years and they started to get holey at the fingertip. If I could find a pair of them again, I would get them

Kelly, those look like what I need. How do you figure out what size? I usually have at least a 7-1/2 in a glove and usually buy 'large' marigolds. What size do you think? Medium? Large?

I got medium and they're a bit of a squeeze so I'd go for the large ones. I have no idea what size my hands are :LOL: I normally get medium gloves though

They look like something I could do with but I don't think even extra-large are going to fit my shovels assuming the measurements are in centimetres :(

silk gloves = 1 camera falling out of hands and breaking and thats the very reason i use the ones with the rubber knobbly bits on them

Ah, I've not yet once dropped my camera (touching wood as we speak) with the silk gloves, but then I also have the strap round my neck just in case I do.

The ones you have, I found were a little too thick for me to change my controls with

I its round your neck also then fair enough, but i use a 2 camera set up and am always stitching between them both so grip security is essential, more so than keeping my pinkies warm.

I've just been practicing using the thin ones with rubbery knobs inside a pair of thinsulate fingerless ones with detachable mitt.
I'm getting ready for covering the Original Mountain Marathon this weekend....

Ahhh... The The annual glove discussion....:)
Shamelessly pasted (with a few updates) from my last post on the subject:

Having worked in an outdoor shop, and doing probably 60% of my photography while climbing or sailing I'd go for:

A thin(ish) pair of "soft shell" gloves from a good outdoor shop. You will get wind protection, some water resistance, grip and hopefully enough insulation unless you are shooting in properly cold place. Mine:
gloves1.jpg

The amount you can do with the camera depends a lot more on how well the gloves fit than the thickness. I can open an old style silver foil kit-kat in my winter mountaineering gloves, and they are good down to about -15.

gloves2.jpg

gloves3.jpg

And yes, I really am taking the pictures wearing the other one, including the fleece liner...

You need to try lots of pairs, and buy based on the fit not the style. Take your camera, or something similar (phone?) with you and try using it.

When it's really cold I have a pair of big gore-tex, fleece lined, mittens that go over everything, so I can add some protection when I'm not shooting.

The already mentioned RAF white leather gloves are also great, but not really for keeping you warm. I tend to use them in the summer when your hands get sweaty and you loose grip. You need to buy them a bit small, and them treat them with a leather cream and work them to fit.glove thread returns...

Hope that helps. I do have another few systems for specific uses such as sailing, but these gloves (or this system) is what I've been using for the last two years, and I can say with certainty that it shouldn't be hard to get gloves to shoot in that will keep you warm way below the temperature that your camera will have stopped working in (unless you're shooting manual film or course!).

Having worked in an outdoor shop,

Off topic but you might be able to help.

My eldest son is going to Base Camp Everest at Easter.

What walking boots should I be looking at, as he will be walking for 12 days.

Back