Winter Steam in B/W

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
A few shots from last weekends Winter Steam Gala at the Great Central Railway.

All conversions done through Lightroom 2.5

BW2800.jpg

BW3800.jpg

BW4800.jpg

BW5800.jpg

BW1800.jpg

Probably one of the coldest days I have spent out recently, but it did mean some good smoke and steam so it was worth it.

Great set there! B & W really suits steam! #3 for me, steam lying flat on the engine give a sense of speed.

A nice set. I like the angles you have got. You must have found a good position to take them. I agree the black and white looks good with steam but it would be good to see the colour versions too.

Last edited:
Think the pictures are great fella. Really liking picture three. I think B&W gives the pictures that little bit extra (y)

Not bad at all and well converted - did you do a straight conversion or did you make some local adjustments?

No.4 is probably my favourite:)

Far from being straight forward conversions, most things were "tweaked", that way you can get better contrast in foliage and skies etc.

Far from being straight forward conversions, most things were "tweaked", that way you can get better contrast in foliage and skies etc.

Good to hear, too many people convert steam railway photos to black and white without paying adequate attention to the details. Exposure can be tricky when you've got a whacking great big black thing in the middle of the frame:)

Very nice. I really like the composition in number 4.

They do appear to 'lean' ever so slightly to the right though?

They are all wonderful images, really nice with great tones. However No2 & 4 are just superb, i mean...really really fantastic. I love them. Thanks for posting

Back