Winter Sun

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Glen Affric for a midweek photography trip hoping for a sunrise but the weather was overcast and snowing. We hung about for a while to see how the morning would develop, the cloud eventually cleared and we managed to catch the end of the sunrise colour. To add to the slight frustration I found I had failed to take my tripod plate so the "Winter Sun" landscape was taken by balancing the camera on the ball head, not for the faint hearted!! :eek:

"Lighting the Way" is not a great shot but I just loved the way the light was falling on the mountain face.

I also took several macro/close up shots of the snow and ice of which I have added a couple here.

Thanks for looking.

Winter Sun by MrsR66, on Flickr

Lighting the Way by MrsR66, on Flickr

Lacy Ice by MrsR66, on Flickr

Slashed by MrsR66, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hmmm, it's a pity the shot of Glen Affric is no longer available. This used to be an old stomping ground of mine.

Hmmm, it's a pity the shot of Glen Affric is no longer available. This used to be an old stomping ground of mine.

Sorry about that Davie I have now rectified the problem and added a b&w of one of (Mam Sodhail?) just down from Carn Eige not the best photograph in the world but as I said I loved the way the sun was lighting its face.

Thanks for looking.

Edit not Mam Sodhail just a mountain ridge which I can't seem to find the name of it looks as though its about 600m high if I have found the right one on google maps, perhaps one of you mountain guys could help............

Last edited:
Sorry about that Davie I have now rectified the problem and added a b&w of one of (Mam Sodhail?) just down from Carn Eige not the best photograph in the world but as I said I loved the way the sun was lighting its face.

Thanks for looking.

Edit not Mam Sodhail just a mountain ridge which I can't seem to find the name of it looks as though its about 600m if I have found the right one on google maps, perhaps one of you mountain guys could help............

Just found this information just to clarify the name of this mountain:-

"This is Sgurr na Lapaich in Glen Affric, a big hill at over 3000 feet but not a Munro in its own right, just a 'Munro Top'.

Lovely set Carol.
Really love the simplicity of the last.

Very good Carol.(y) I was a mountaineer all of my life until I became disabled. Glen Affric was always one of the best glens to access fine mountains. Shame about the midgies though!:exit:

Another fine set Carol - I was waiting for these.

PS

Yes - it's Sgurr na Lapaich (1036m) which then leads on to Mam Sodhail (1181m) and then Carn Eighe (1183m) the highest mountain North of the Great Glen.

There's another Sgurr na Lapaich (1150m) just to the North on the other side of Loch Mullardoch

Long time since I've done any of the Affric hills but I've an old pic (I'll remove if you like) showing the same peak from just past the car park......

Sgurr na Lapaich Glen Affric by dinners85, on Flickr

Last edited:
Macros aren't my thing. I particularly like 2, the light, processing all bring to life a captivating view.

One has great light but the perspective is too low and the view obscured. I know you could have done better.

Macros aren't my thing. I particularly like 2, the light, processing all bring to life a captivating view.

One has great light but the perspective is too low and the view obscured. I know you could have done better.

Hi Steve you're right about no 1 but not having my tripod plate sort of threw me and when I had to balance the camera on the ball head I did not want to have it too high off the ground. The rest of the day I hand held as I could not be bothered with the stress! :eek::D

Another fine set Carol - I was waiting for these.

PS

Yes - it's Sgurr na Lapaich (1036m) which then leads on to Mam Sodhail (1181m) and then Carn Eighe (1183m) the highest mountain North of the Great Glen.

There's another Sgurr na Lapaich (1150m) just to the North on the other side of Loch Mullardoch

Long time since I've done any of the Affric hills but I've an old pic (I'll remove if you like) showing the same peak from just past the car park......

Hey Phil thanks for posting your photo as it gives everyone a chance to see what the surrounding area is like. As Steve pointed out I could have done better but hey theres always another time, hopefully sooner rather than later as it was almost 18 months since I was there the last time.

Last edited:
Back