Winter Wedding styled shoot

My face when I saw this photo:

images

Fantastic photo. The tones in it are truly spectacular. Great use of a shallow DoF and I love the central composition of the subject. I usually prefer Portra to 400H but this has made me question myself lol. Just had a look at your website too, your portrait photos are beautiful

For me the most obvious thing, and I mean obvious, is the ground light on the LHS of the frame. It is bright, distracting, and spoils the lead in line you have from the fence. You could probably have blocked it with the model (given his was taken on film) or retouched it out. For me it has to go.

Compositionally it is a little bit in the middle for me, and by that I mean it isn't a half length, full length and more of a 85% rather than 3/4 length with too much room above her head.

I'd have liked to have changed the view around her hair which is half tree and half grey sky and draws my eye away from the face...

On the pose. When I shot this pose during real weddings it was always done as a half length with the bouquet, arms and hands forming the base and with the eyes on the top 1/3 it really looses impact IMHO with this crop. I either need to see less, or a full length.

And then for me the LH eye seems to be in shadow, and picky I know I'd have wanted all of the hair swept around in front on one side, or forward on both. It looks unbalanced with one front and one behind. Again this pose is often about symmetry.

On a styled shoot you have much more time to scout locations for light, backgrounds and distractions, sort out the models hair and details, and perfect the shot - more so than at a real wedding and I'm not sure this has the finesse that you could have achieved.

Back