Wireless Access Points

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
As of today my Belkin Access point has dies and now no longer powers on. Has worked well for about 4/5 months and hasn't had its settings or anything about it changed.

Now looking for a new wireless access point that has good speed and range.

Can anyone recommend a good one that they have/have used?

Have had a really good Linksys in the past that lasted a good 4 years or so, are they still the reliable units that they used to be?

Thanks for reading.

Andy

Apple airport express, you can use it to pipe music to your stereo and share a printer too.

Are you specifically after an Access Point, or Wireless Router?

I can highly recommend the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station as a Wireless Router (if you're using Cable broadband). If you're using ADSL (BT, 02 etc) then you'll need a separate modem/router.

Mine is setup using the standard 02 broadband wireless router, cabled into my AEBS and used as a router.

Running a Linksys wireless router on BT now for about 3 years with no trouble. Talks to Macs ,PC and iPhones.

Look for the new "n" protocol units. The Linlsys one has Gigabit network output ( You'll need the appropriate card in the computer ) plus it's wireless at around 275mMb/s (again if appropriate card available).

Unless you're an apple-head, don't bother with the Airport range as they are Very expensive for what you get. Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo all offer decent gear at a lot less. Belkin I'd always warn people away from, traditionally they were the cheap option and the results usually matched.

I've never seen a Belkin wireless router fail but I have seen the PSU fail.

What is wrong with it? No lights?

Hey all, thanks for advice and information.

For those that are asking.

I am after a wireless router and we have cable. I have a Mac and soon replacing all pc's with them.

Never going Belkin again.

thats a little harsh to be honest, theres nothing wrong with belkin kit in particular..

all the major router companys make cable routers, theyre all pretty much the same difference. personally i favour linksys (cisco home brand) and have had very few issues with them.

Sorry admirable didn't refresh before posting. Yer there is no lights and it had been turning on and off since yesterday. Is there something i can do to fix it?

By the way i am still after a new router with a bit more range.

Hey all, thanks for advice and information.

For those that are asking.

I am after a wireless router and we have cable. I have a Mac and soon replacing all pc's with them.

Never going Belkin again.

I replaced my Netgear with a Time Capsule after the netgear died a similar death.

Works perfectly with my Virgin cable modem, backs up my Mac's without me thinking about it, and it looks pretty.

Other than that, any old router would do if I'm honest, but shiny white plastic's my thing, if only they did them in brushed aluminium...

;)

Sorry admirable didn't refresh before posting. Yer there is no lights and it had been turning on and off since yesterday. Is there something i can do to fix it?

By the way i am still after a new router with a bit more range.

I would say it's the PSU. If there are no lights on then there is no power getting to it. Just buy a new PSU for less than a fiver.

As for range, these are very good. Try placing it in the centre of the house and the higher up the better. No point having it below waist level as the signal has more to try and pass through, ie fridges,tv's, sofas etc etc.
Keep it at about eye level as there are less restrictions at that level.

aawww, I only have 2....mind you they are kept company by 2 broken belkin ones :bonk: Personally I stick to D-Link, the others have been given me to check as they seemed to have failed in their homes and checks showed they had :wacky:

I stick to the constant supply of Dlink ones that Tiscali keep sending me to replace the one that keeps breaking. I am now on my 4th Dlink router. I don't know what it is but routers are the absolute most likely thing to break in my house.

I stick to the constant supply of Dlink ones that Tiscali keep sending me to replace the one that keeps breaking. I am now on my 4th Dlink router. I don't know what it is but routers are the absolute most likely thing to break in my house.

:LOL: I dread to think WHAT you do to routers in your house :naughty:

:LOL: I dread to think WHAT you do to routers in your house :naughty:

I have no idea either I have probably had 12 since ADSL came out. I can't remember when that was now but I was an early adopter :)...... Before the constant supply of free replacements from Tiscali I had switched to £16 ones from Scan after finding that expensive ones don't last any longer. Tiscali even came out to check that there wasn't a problem with the line which was breaking my routers!!

thats odd about routers keep breaking..

i know theyre picky about having a clean power supply, have they been plugged into a surge protected socket?

They are in my data cabinet attached to a commercial grade mains conditioner, that was Tiscali's first idea. Saying that though the current one is about 8-9 months old :)

I would say it's the PSU. If there are no lights on then there is no power getting to it. Just buy a new PSU for less than a fiver.

As for range, these are very good. Try placing it in the centre of the house and the higher up the better. No point having it below waist level as the signal has more to try and pass through, ie fridges,tv's, sofas etc etc.
Keep it at about eye level as there are less restrictions at that level.

Thankyou, finally working but something in the house is now without power because its power supply is now powering my router! :woot:

I think i am going to get an Apple Extreme after all and mount it on the wall.

Thanks All

just seen the price of the extreme... YIKES.

You pay for quality but yes it is rather expensive. If you buy it at the same time as a computer then get the Applecare then the warranty is extended to 3 years. Also it has the dual networks thing which is unique as far as I know. The express is a better option unless you actually need any of the features. Also you can plug a USB hub into the USB port and connect any number of hard drives and or printers to it too

handy features i must admit, but your average user wont need dual networks.. (although i would probably just to be a flash git lol)

Oh yes, I completely agree with you. That is why they have the express option too.

Incidentally if anyone JUST wants an express in order to pipe music from iTunes to a stereo then look on ebay for the last generation one ie pre 802.11n because they change hands at £30 which is not bad at all. I was going to buy several and put one in the kitchen/bathroom/living room/workshop with a pair of reasonable computer speakers. You then name them and in iTunes you can just select where...

Hate to say this, but the Apple routers are no better/worse than the majority of the other makes. There are some 'industrial' style units out there, which are designed to be more resilient/last longer than Belkin/Netgear/Linksys/Apple/etc and they are still considerably cheaper than the apple products.

Hate to say this, but the Apple routers are no better/worse than the majority of the other makes. There are some 'industrial' style units out there, which are designed to be more resilient/last longer than Belkin/Netgear/Linksys/Apple/etc and they are still considerably cheaper than the apple products.

cisco and intermec spring to mind.. but not cheap.

The Apple one's have some unique features that IF YOU WANT THEM make them worth buying. Also you can get student discount off them and if bought with the computer you can extend the warranty. I wouldn't buy them JUST because they are Apple. With discounts my extreme cost about £100 and the express was about £50. The express will feed sound which you can't otherwise do and the Extreme has the dual channels (ie you can set up a channel for people to access the internet without being able to access the home network) these things might be an advantage to some people. I have found the Apple routers VERY reliable though and have not personally come across one breaking.

cisco and intermec spring to mind.. but not cheap.

What price is a Cisco 802.11n intelligent access point with dual channels and the ability to add multiple hard drives and printers !

It's horses for courses, most people will just make do with whatever their broadband supplier gives them. Most give a free router now.

There are some 'industrial' style units out there, which are designed to be more resilient/last longer than Belkin/Netgear/Linksys/Apple/etc and they are still considerably cheaper than the apple products.

I invite you to point us to one then ;) as per my last post !

The Apple one's have some unique features that IF YOU WANT THEM make them worth buying. Also you can get student discount off them and if bought with the computer you can extend the warranty. I wouldn't buy them JUST because they are Apple. With discounts my extreme cost about £100 and the express was about £50. The express will feed sound which you can't otherwise do and the Extreme has the dual channels (ie you can set up a channel for people to access the internet without being able to access the home network) these things might be an advantage to some people. I have found the Apple routers VERY reliable though and have not personally come across one breaking.
ok at that price then the apple products are probably cheaper than all their rivals and so well worth it.
With work discounts (not the working for apple discount) they are still expensive.

Another vote for the Time Capsule here. OK, it is expensive, but having a back up is priceless.

Sorry to jump the the thread............but

I am not wireless but I want to be.

I have virgin cable and run a PC and have a couple of lappys around the house and I want to know what I need to go wireless.

I'm a bit of a noob with this networking thingiemebobs.

Sorry to jump the the thread............but

I am not wireless but I want to be.

I have virgin cable and run a PC and have a couple of lappys around the house and I want to know what I need to go wireless.

I'm a bit of a noob with this ntworking thingiemebobs.
WHat ever you go for you need to make sure you pick up the version for Cable use, not ADSL as they are different versions of the same model.

netgear for usability and then linksys for quality components

they're both much of a muchness though, apart from a couple of other manufacturers (of which belkin isn't one i wouldn't reccomend any others)

WHat ever you go for you need to make sure you pick up the version for Cable use, not ADSL as they are different versions of the same model.

I knew that part but what do I need,

router,dongle,which #g (see I told you I am new),how much.

I live in a traditional semi so I'm not sure how powerful it has to be.

The cable modem is upstairs.

Any tips please.

I knew that part but what do I need,

router,dongle,which #g (see I told you I am new),how much.

I live in a traditional semi so I'm not sure how powerful it has to be.

The cable modem is upstairs.

Any tips please.
Which ever you buy, (and I see them as a consumable item now, use 'em till they break, then get another). stick it as high as you can. Make sure you enable the security. That's pretty much it. You can pick any off the shelf router you like, 54mbps or 11/mbps it doesn't really make much difference bearing in mind your internet connection will come nowhere near that, so unless you intend on shovelling huge files around between computers on your network, pick anything you like the look of! I for one certainly wouldn't pay £100 for a router. my 802.11B Linksys is 5 years old and still going strong.

After peoples reviews of the Apple Extreme i went and bought one. Yes its expensive but it is amazing. Good range, good speed and has really useful options such as the ability to let guest use the internet and also add the printer for everyone to use.

Also really really easy to set up. Well worth the money.

After peoples reviews of the Apple Extreme i went and bought one. Yes its expensive but it is amazing. Good range, good speed and has really useful options such as the ability to let guest use the internet and also add the printer for everyone to use.

Also really really easy to set up. Well worth the money.

Sorry Andy, but I can do all that with mine £15. But hey ho, each to their own. Good luck with it. I know they are excellent.

Back