Beginner Wireless Flash Set-up Help!

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I have been wanting to start experimenting with flash and was just about to buy a Yongnuo 568EXii TTL flash and YN-622C-TX controller, I will only be buying one flash for now but will likely add another to my set up within the next few months.

Now I thought that this is what I needed for a wireless set-up, but it seems I also need these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/YongNuo-YN...1_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AHE7M0FYCF3HRBN7SR69

Can anyone just give me some clarification on what I actually need for a wireless set up, and would I need a trigger for each flash in the set up?!

I have tried finding an answer to my problem but I am struggling, I am also at work so can't wait any you tube videos! Basically I have recently upgraded to a canon 80d and I was looking to start playing around with flash photography, increasing my portrait skills so I am fully prepared for when we start having kids! haha! So I was looking for an ettl flash to make life easy and one that I could set up wirelessly with my camera and be able to add my more flashes to the set up at a later date, I think that covers all the details!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
The TX unit is a commander. It lets you control power and zoom on the remote flashes, assuming they are TTL, from it mounted to your camera and is really nice to use. The transceivers can be used with, or without the commander depending on how much control and number of flashes you want, but you will need at least one on each flash.

So in short the transceivers just pass the TTL signal from the camera to the flash, which is fine for Off camera TTL shooting with a single flash. The TX lets you change the TTL signal and send it to many transceivers giving much more control. You can also use it to trigger non TTL flashes with a transceiver connected to it.

So you can have one TX on the camera + many "triggers" on one or many flashes, or one "trigger" on the camera and one on a flash.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help, apparently the 80d has a built in remote flash system, so maybe I wouldn't need the controller, and just a compatible flash? The yongnuo yn600ex-rt has very mixed reviews, seems like a bit of a miss compared to their previous cameras, does the remote flash system need the built in flash to trigger the off camera flash or is it a proper wireless trigger?

There are two types of remote triggering from Canon, the old optical preflash (used with the likes of the 580EXII) and the newer radio remote trigger. These are different from using the Yongnuo triggers / TX unit (which are a wireless replacement for the hotshot connected flash). Using the TX and a trigger is so easy to use, and scales well if you want to add more flashes (or mix and match a little), you have a fairly clear screen on the TX, so don't need to mess about on the camera menus. I have used them on my 70D with a Lencarta Atom, Canon 580EXII and some others mixed in too. If the flash isn't TTL, you don't get remote control of it, but you can really have some good fun with them.

Oh, I should also say, that most people would also say that manual flash is something you should really have a go at, and something like strobist.blogspot.com (look for the lighting 101 articles) are a good place to start / have a read about.

Thanks a lot for your help, apparently the 80d has a built in remote flash system, so maybe I wouldn't need the controller, and just a compatible flash? The yongnuo yn600ex-rt has very mixed reviews, seems like a bit of a miss compared to their previous cameras, does the remote flash system need the built in flash to trigger the off camera flash or is it a proper wireless trigger?
The Canon remote flash system is a throwback to the 90's, works badly sometimes, and not worth the bother.

If you want to minimise the kit you're buying. Then either a YN600RT and a YN E3 trigger, or a YN685 with a YN622tx to trigger it. Both those flashes have built in wireless receivers.

Simples

Thanks so much guys, you've been a great help, I am tempted by the cheaper 685 model, is there much difference between the 2 flashes? the 685 doesn't have a usb port for firmware upgrades, which might not really be an issue

Thanks so much guys, you've been a great help, I am tempted by the cheaper 685 model, is there much difference between the 2 flashes? the 685 doesn't have a usb port for firmware upgrades, which might not really be an issue

YN 685 and 600-RT are basically the same flash inside, same as 568 too, with different triggering and control options.

I went for a set of 600-RTs with Tx unit, mainly because the guns include a master/Tx function, whereas 685s are receiver only. This means you can also have a gun on the camera in a multi-flash set-up. Very pleased (y)

Last edited:
Back