Wireless Flash Triggering?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought myself a hanimex tz1 the other day off ebay and was looking at triggering it remotely with my 350d. It looks like a normal hot shoe connector on the flash so I've had a look on ebay and was looking at something like the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180214641318

Has anyone used this or something similar? It is just to play around with using an off camera flash really and so I don't want to spend loads on it.

Rob

Dont get eBay slaves. Some dont work as good as other sets so it's pot luck if they work all the time or misfire.

If you want something cheap and works really well Skyports are your answer. £115 for a Uni set which has a transmitter and receiver. I own them and I love them. Never let me down and bridges the gap between eBay slaves and PW's.

Thanks for the reply, however £115 is quite a bit more than I was hoping to spend (the flash unit was £4 delivered :D), and it's just to have a play around with so reliability isn't too important. I was really looking at spending <£25 or so, and was hoping there might be a few people here who had bought them or similar ones.

Rob

The thing is thou you get what you pay for. Trust me thou it would £115 well spent in the end.

Quite a lot of people have bought those radio slaves but as I said before it's put luck if they work correctly all the time. There have been loads of mods to try and improve them some of them have improved them some havent as much. This is why it's best to wait till you can get good stuff rather than not.

You thought about sync cables or optical slave units??

If you go for the low costs triggers, I've got them , get the cactus ones. Yes occasional the do fire of the odd flash but they do work reasonably well.

I Use them to trigger flashes that are not line of site with the main units.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=274

The thing is thou you get what you pay for. Trust me thou it would £115 well spent in the end.

Quite a lot of people have bought those radio slaves but as I said before it's put luck if they work correctly all the time. There have been loads of mods to try and improve them some of them have improved them some havent as much. This is why it's best to wait till you can get good stuff rather than not.

You thought about sync cables or optical slave units??
Thanks, I do appreciate that you get what you pay for, however I'm just interested in playing around with it to see what results I can achieve, and if it's something I want to peruse further then I would invest a bit more in some decent kit. I have considered sync cables, however the flash I have is quite old and the voltage on the hot shoe connector is too high to connect to my camera without risking damaging it (67V), so I was trying to decide between getting a wireless trigger and knocking up a circuit myself to go between the two and using a sync cable. If I can get a cheapish wireless transmitter and receiver then it's easier than making up a circuit for it.

Rob

If you go for the low costs triggers, I've got them , get the cactus ones. Yes occasional the do fire of the odd flash but they do work reasonably well.

I Use them to trigger flashes that are not line of site with the main units.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=274

Have you ordered from that website before?
Which product is it that you have?

The "16 Channels Wireless Studio Flash Trigger #16656" looks like it should work for what I need although it has no way to mount the flash unit on a tripod thread unlike the separate receivers that can be bought?

Rob

That's where I got my units from. Cherryrig is right some flashes don't work with some triggers, the 4 channel 2c model works fine with my Canon 430 and 580 flashes, plus some 20 year old Nikon and Olumpus ones.

I can't see any point in going for the 16 channel version unless you have one of the worlds most complicated flash set ups. The 4 channel is fine for most people.

As far as fitting the flash, unless you have a really lightweight one the fitting on the receiver is a bit naff.To fit on a tripod/stand . I use a separate shoe with PC cord . Fit the flash to the shoe, and secure this to the stand , connect the receiver via PC cord

Thanks for all the replies guys, the flash I am planning to trigger is a hanimex tz1, I think I'll probably just go for the cactus ones and see how I get one with them then :)

Rob

Back