Wireless Network - HELP!

Name
Steve Green
Edit My Images
Yes
I realise that this is a probably really simple problem but I have little or no experience in setting up wireless networks.

My gear is as follows:

Netgear DG834
Samsung N110 notebook
HP Pavillion Laptop

I have had the Samsung running through the Netgear router without any difficulty but now I want to add the HP laptop to the router as well. I have set up the network details including the WEP key but it simply will not connect to the network despite 'seeing' it.

I assume I am doing something stupid, any pointers?

It's usually your antivirus software that stops it. check that your network settings are to allow all (in and out):)

Make sure the SSID is typed in caps....
Also you may have to login to the router on the working laptop by typing in the url - 192.168.0.1 look in wireless devices and see if a new device is there to be added, if there is one add it. That should work.

Can't understand that then, if you can see the computer on the network, perhaps it's file sharing not turned on properly??

Make sure the SSID is typed in caps....
Also you may have to login to the router on the working laptop by typing in the url - 192.168.0.1 look in wireless devices and see if a new device is there to be added, if there is one add it. That should work.

Done that, that's the MAC address right?

When I connect the HP via a hard wire it's fine but wireless it just won't connect to the network. Could it be that I now have two computers connected to the Netgear? I don't understand the WEP Key 1,2,3 etc but I set the HP to use the same WEP key as the Samsung.

You could try typing your WEP key in as a HEXIDECIMAL key, I had to do this for my sons laptop to connet to our router. To convert your WEP key use this tool.http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/

Type in your Wep key and it will convert to HEX, copy and paste this into the password window

Can't understand that then, if you can see the computer on the network, perhaps it's file sharing not turned on properly??

Not sure about file sharing being turned on or off. I would assume it's normally on by default though I am not trying to share files, just connect to the network.......i'm as confused as you!

I would turn off access control first and see if you can connect that way - access control is where you can specify only certain MAC addresses that can connect to the router.

You could try typing your WEP key in as a HEXIDECIMAL key, I had to do this for my sons laptop to connet to our router. To convert your WEP key use this tool.http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/

Type in your Wep key and it will convert to HEX, copy and paste this into the password window

Yep, done that too. I took the WEP key from the router info. Key 1 the same as the Samsung :thinking:

Do you have DHCP turned on or have you assigned a static IP address on your HP?

Have you tried to add the laptop through the router - login into the router goto wireless settings, setup access list then type in the MAC address of the laptop as a wireless station.

Can your samsung access the router with all the security turned off?
Have you tried using the windows wireless configurator instead of the HP Wireless assistant?

My Network security properties in the 'Security' tab say:

Security Type: Shared
Encryption Type ; WEP
Network Security Key: ******* (I typed in the HEX earlier and it was correct)
Key Index: 1 (which corresponds to the router setting)

Key index is not required I believe.
Try using the Windows configurator instead of the HP Wireless.
What OS are you using by the way?

Can your samsung access the router with all the security turned off?
Have you tried using the windows wireless configurator instead of the HP Wireless assistant?

I am posting this with 'Security Off' so yes. I am using the Windows wireless thing instead of the HP thing as the HP thing seems pretty useless, just like me! :D

.........and despite the secuity being off the HP still won't connect. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Windows cannot connect to NETGEAR

Diagnose the problem

Connect to a different network.

Pah!

So the network is visible in the Windows configurator - Yes?
What is the exact message when you try and connect?

So the network is visible in the Windows configurator - Yes?
What is the exact message when you try and connect?

The network shows up currently as:

NETGEAR Unsecured Network (signal strength: FULL)

When I highlight and click connect I get the warning about it being unsecured and then I get the message Windows Cannot Connect to NETGEAR

Diagnose the problem
Connect to a different network.

sbowler579 said:
Netgear users forum may be of help Steve.

I'll have a nose at that, thanks.

This sounds like an issue on the HP not the Netgear router. Are you 100% sure that access control is turned off?

If by access control you mean that the WEP is off and it's an unsecured network then yes, definitely as that is what the 'view wireless networks' panel is showing on the Samsung.

I'm very confused :(

Even the HP is showing the Netgear as an unsecured network but still won't connect.

No - you can find the access control under Wireless settings - setup access list.
Is this turned on?

No - you can still have access control enabled with security off.
Try turning off the access control.

So sorry about this but I checked the MAC address of the HP and it was wrong :bonk:

I have now done that correctly and the HP and the Samsung are both connected with WEP security.

God, what a dork! :bang:

Thanks for your help folks, much appreciated!!!

Firstly a DG834 is a wired only router so I will assume you have a DG834G, DG834GT or DG834N. Can you confirm which? This is important as it could change the nature of the soultion.

Secondly is there any reason you need to use WEP rather than WPA or WPA2? WEP is an old and very flawed encryption protocol. I could sit outside your house and crack your WEP key in a matter of minutes using packet injection and in a matter of hours without. Granted I don't have your address but there are people that drive around and do this for fun.

The basic advice has already been given above and that is to try and make the connection with MAC filtering turned off and turning all encryption off by setting up an unsecured connection. If this works you can then set up WEP or WPA.

If it does not work then more information is required G, GT, N and what network card/dongle is in the HP. Also is the HP using drivers/software from the card/dongle manufacture or Windows Wireless Zero Configuration?

/Edit

Glad it is sorted while I was typing, I still strongly recommend WPA if you can use it.

Firstly a DG834 is a wired only router so I will assume you have a DG834G, DG834GT or DG834N. Can you confirm which? This is important as it could change the nature of the soultion.

Secondly is there any reason you need to use WEP rather than WPA or WPA2? WEP is an old and very flawed encryption protocol. I could sit outside your house and crack your WEP key in a matter of minutes using packet injection and in a matter of hours without. Granted I don't have your address but there are people that drive around and do this for fun.

It's the G version. I must look into this security thing though if it's as easy to crack as you say, that's scary!

It has WPA-PSK and WPA-802.1x would these be better?

It's the G version. I must look into this security thing though if it's as easy to crack as you say, that's scary!

It has WPA-PSK and WPA-802.1x would these be better?

WPA-PSK is fine just use a long and secure password that contains no words, has upper and lowercase letters and numbers.

Back