Wireless networks

R

RobbieW

Hi

I woke up last sunday and found that my belkin router would accept wireless connections, I tried everything I could thing of but it still wouldn't work. It would work through cabled connections, so in the end I gave up and bought a new one.

That worked straight away, until yesterday when that too stopped accepting wireless connections. Tonight after many reboots and many hours of playing it is once again happy.

I am starting to think that there maybe interferecnce from another network (I live in flats). If my pc wan't at the other end of my flat from my broadband connection I would scrap it altogether.

Does anyone else hate wireless sometimes? before people assume I am being a plonker, I work in IT and therefore most of the time I know what I am doing.

Rob

sometimes it can be a complete wankstain, but currently my networks rock solid, sometimes my laptop stops recieving the signal and needs me to disable and enable the wireless for it to work.

not as solid as cabling though, but its so inconvenient compared to wireless

Mine ran bullet proof until I got the Mrs a laptop with vista on. At first it refused to connect to the network wirelessly then I sorted that after messing around for a bit. Not long after that mine started to have a few problems. Recently its been very how can I put it without using bad language, very irritating. I hate Vista :bang:

I am glad its not just me then. Mine has been fine for years then it goes pete tong!

Sorry to hear your woe's, i wont touch vista

Why it works fine for many people.

I was doing a new server install Saturday with clients runninng both xp and vista and had no real problems.

I have been running Vista for over a year and it is the most stable op sys I've used on a regular P.C.

Don't other RF devices like cordless phones and those TV signal sender things work on similar frequencies?

Yeah wifi connections can be a real pain in the arse, especially if you're *lucky* to have a home hub like me. Useless piece of....

IMO vista is the dumbest operating system ever. The most annoying thing is when you tell it to do something, it then asks you are you sure, and then just to be irritating it asks your permission to do the thing that you have told it to do twice already :annoyed::bang:.

Why it works fine for many people.

I was doing a new server install Saturday with clients runninng both xp and vista and had no real problems.

I have been running Vista for over a year and it is the most stable op sys I've used on a regular P.C.

It *might* be stable but it's slow, bloated, a step backwards in usable GUI, more complicated than ever - when simplicity is what should be developed and it has objections to running a lot of programs that would run fine under xp.

All in all they spent 5 years developing an operating system that is a step backwards in terms of usability... only M$...

Whats "slower" is generally the hardware drivers that run the bits and bobs in the PC.

Where driver support is good and the internals are chosen wisely, benchmarking shows very little difference between xp and vista.

Vista is a much more efficient user of available memory than xp in that it can intelligently use and free up fesources much better than xp.

When you get to 64 bit operations vista has far better support than xp and 64 bit has the grater longevity.

I run all the op sys from 2000 upwards in order to support my clients and have no problem at all with vista.

Still each to their own eh:)

IMO vista is the dumbest operating system ever. The most annoying thing is when you tell it to do something, it then asks you are you sure, and then just to be irritating it asks your permission to do the thing that you have told it to do twice already :annoyed::bang:.

for the average user the UAC offers a good level of protection.

If you don't like it turn it off or have it run "silently".

Not a difficult thing to do.

I was anti Vista until I got a new laptop in January, since then I've been a convert.

Wireless networks are simple and reliable. I have a Belkin wireless router which runs a basic encryption system, I also have locked down the Mac addresses that can connect to it.

My our laptops and my PDA all connect fine.

RobbieW, maybe its me but this is a copy & paste of the first line of your post"I woke up last sunday and found that my belkin router would accept wireless connections, I tried everything I could thing of but it still wouldn't work. It would work through cabled connections, so in the end I gave up and bought a new one".
You lost me but I take it you mean it would not accept wireless, is it encrypted? ie wep enabled? living in a block of flats can leave you open to loads of mischief. I have found through personal experience (kids) that going on u tube etc can effect the performance and capabilites of your computer (spam etc) Regards Jim

Then turn off UAC (user account control).

Anthony.

It *might* be stable but it's slow, bloated, a step backwards in usable GUI, more complicated than ever - when simplicity is what should be developed and it has objections to running a lot of programs that would run fine under xp.

All in all they spent 5 years developing an operating system that is a step backwards in terms of usability... only M$...

Runs all my programs fine - and quickly too.

Anthony.

I've got a wireless network with XP / Vista32 / Vista64 / Wii / NDS / Printer / phone connected to it.

No problems, maybe I'm just lucky :D

Back