Wireless transfer to computer - any-one tried "airnef"?

GHP

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Just found this and wondered whether anyone has tried it?

I know there are plenty of questions getting asked about wirelessly transferring images to your computer, but I have not heard of this one before.

Here's a link if any-one is interested...

http://www.testcams.com/airnef/

Here's what they say on their site ...

"This is the official homepage of Airnef, my open-source utility for downloading images and movies from your WiFi-equipped Nikon camera. Airnef runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It supports all Nikon cameras that have built-in WiFi interfaces, along with those using external Nikon WU-1a and WU-1b WiFi adapters. Airnef may also work with Nikon's WT-4A and WT-5A wireless adapters for the D3/D4/D8x, although I don't have any of these adapters on hand to test. Airnef supports Canon and Sony cameras as well, although Canon supplies its own excellent EOS Utility for wireless downloads. Airnef is licensed under GPL v3."

Thought it might be interesting.

Well, I just thought I would update my own thread, as it seems a bit quiet in here !:D

Just downloaded and installed Airnef to my laptop.
Amazing, it works really well.
I can choose the images (RAW's, jpegs, movies) I want to transfer either by selecting them on the camera within the wifi menu, or choose on the computer, made a folder on my laptop and press the go button !
Obviously you have to set up a network between the camera (D750 in my case) and the laptop, but it's the same as setting it up between the camera and the iPhone app.
Each image (RAW) took about 1 minute to transfer, but it worked flawlessly.
Not bad for a free programme. The developer doesn't even ask for donations !

So, for anyone who wants easy file transfer direct to your laptop (or PC/Mac) have a try of this free programme.

BTW, I have no connection whatsoever to the programme, other than a satisfied user !!

given a decent card and usb 3 reader, you could average 1 to 2 raw files per second (70-95mb per second to a reasonable hdd)
and not eat battery too

downsides of wireless ;)

cf and xqd cfast probably go faster

I just started using the wifi on Nikon D5300 to iPhone connection and found that works fine. The remote shutter is a useful feature.

Not heard of airnef before but looking forward to trying it out to my iMac. I understand that it is possible to tether to Lightroom 6 that is on my list of things to achieve and it sounds like this may be easier to achieve.

I like to photograph coins and bought the D5300 for this reason. It is a pain to take a few pictures to find they are not right and have to remount the camera and try again. Far easier to see properly on the screen what you are getting and make adjustments without taking it all apart.

Will have a look at airnef after work today.

Seems an excellent way to reduce wear and tear on USB sockets or card slots.
Blazing speed is not always essential, if it is easier to start it off.
- As soon as you come in the house when you want a coffee or something it could just get on with it.

Back