Wireless transfer ...

Name
bryn
Edit My Images
No
Hi All looking for some advice, the example is ...set up my portable studio at an event ...i want to transfer the images taken from my 7d to a laptop but without being tethered by a cable ....
What is the best way to do this , the most affordable, and what kit would anyone recommend ...also now i've transferred the images i now need to print them off so , now what printer and programe would anyone recommend as my budget for a printer isn't big £150 ish ... can anyone help

Hi

Sounds like you need an eye-fi card (and cf adapter) or equivalent to wirelessly transfer.

Printer wise - I've a Canon Pixma iP printer and really like it and would certainly recommend one. You should easily be able to get this and the card under your budget.

Assuming it's a 7D and not a 7Dii, it uses a CF card rather than SD... I understand that some of the eye-fi cards will work in certain adaptors - though most of the sources I checked were from a number of years ago, and the recommended items were out of stock... I think it's a bit "hit and miss" which ones will or won't work tbh... fwiw, none of the ones recommended were actual companies you'd recognise (say Sandisk etc) - just the cheapies.

The official WiFi solution for the 7D is ferociously expensive in comparison - £400+

You may want to read your other thread on this subject as well - or at least acknowledge the people who have taken their time to try and help - it's here - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/wireless-transfer-from-camera-to-pc.574305/ in case you'd forgotten it...

Last edited:
It all comes down to budget versus performance. The official Canon adaptors are very very good (although notoriously a pain to set up and understand for average people). The eye-fi cards can be hit and miss, but many people report good performances. It depends on whether you're doing it for the fun, or for the money. If it was business critical I'd save a bit and go for the Canon option. If it's just a bit of fun on the odd weekend helping out the local school, I'd go the eye-fi option. As for printers - same applies. You can get a really good dye-sub for around £1000 or less that can churn out good quality prints very quickly. Alternately there are many cheaper printer options that are a bit slower, and a bit more costly to run, but again if you are just doing it for fun, or to earn the odd pound here or there, would probably be enough for you. Someone I know once said - buy once - buy right. Make sure you get the right kit that will suit your needs, don't regret wasting money later if it's not up to the job.

Back