wireless transmitter

Edit My Images
No
anyone know anything about wireless transmitters for a Nikon D90, i would be used in an event photography environment, so reliability and speed are of paramount importance

any one used one?

are transmitters any good?

any other alternatives (apart from swapping cards after every shoot)

Hi Kully,

Pocket Wizard are supposed to be the best, but also the most expensive. I recently bought a set of Yongnuo RF-602, transmitter and 3 receivers from here -ebay@cotswoldphoto.co.uk for a total of £58. They have very good reports and so far they have not let me down. Shoot in Manual mode.

Malcolm

Hi Kully,

Pocket Wizard are supposed to be the best, but also the most expensive. I recently bought a set of Yongnuo RF-602, transmitter and 3 receivers from here -ebay@cotswoldphoto.co.uk for a total of £58. They have very good reports and so far they have not let me down. Shoot in Manual mode.

Malcolm

Good as the RF602 is, you can't use it to transfer images from the camera to a computer.....

any other alternatives (apart from swapping cards after every shoot)

sorry guys i didnt make myself clear

im looking to transfer images from camera to pc once taken

Im not sure if there is anything available for the D90. The WT-4 is for the D300 upwards and the WT-3 fits the D200. You might be lucky and come across a third party transmitter but as to whether it would work if you do find one is a different. Apart from that you are probably best getting a load of cards to carry round with you.

Im not sure if there is anything available for the D90. The WT-4 is for the D300 upwards and the WT-3 fits the D200. You might be lucky and come across a third party transmitter but as to whether it would work if you do find one is a different. Apart from that you are probably best getting a load of cards to carry round with you.

have you got any experience with an eye-fi ?

Kully, the eye fi is meant to work ok on the D90, however, you need to connect it to a router for pure file transfer use, so you have to buy a router and have it set up as a wifi access point, and connect your computer to that.

Will always want to carry a cable backup though (ie 5m usb cable + powered extender).

Kully,

If you can shoot 'tethered', then you may have the answer.

Malcolm

whats the most stable, eye fi or tethered.....??

tethered isnt wireless i have just realised..... isnt that just a fancy usb connection? sure, it allows you to shoot from the pc but thats a feature i dont need

Hi Kully,
Tethering is linking a camera to a laptop. You can control the camera from the laptop, but you don't have to. As you shoot, the shot is viewed on the laptop screen, nice and big so you can see the details, but it has also been saved on the laptop - an instant backup as you shoot.

With Canon, there is a Canon EOS program included when you buy an EOS camera that does this for you, but not sure what the Nikon system does ....... must be something similar? Is that what you were after?

Malcolm

Malcolm

Hi Kully,
Tethering is linking a camera to a laptop. You can control the camera from the laptop, but you don't have to. As you shoot, the shot is viewed on the laptop screen, nice and big so you can see the details, but it has also been saved on the laptop - an instant backup as you shoot.

With Canon, there is a Canon EOS program included when you buy an EOS camera that does this for you, but not sure what the Nikon system does ....... must be something similar? Is that what you were after?

Malcolm

Malcolm

the problem with tethering is that it is hardwired... i might as well use a usb cable... as i will not needing any of the functions tethering offers apart from transferring the image from camera to pc

also with eye fi theres is a compatibility issue with d90 nikons so it seems im kinda stuck, eye fi is the best option as its wireless but if i decide to go down that road i may need to change from a d90 to another spec nikon... out of curiosity what is the next step up from a Nikon d90 keeping in mind im using it just at wedding receptions - setting up a mobile studio

Back