Wireless Trigger for 580EX?

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone recommend me a good wireless trigger and remote for a 580EX?

Where is good to buy from and how much am I looking at? Needs to be reliable as I want to use it for BMX jumping and need to nail the shot first time.

loads of options, skyport radio triggers will set you back bout 110~120 i think, reliable and cheap compared to pocket wizards.
ebay triggers(less reliable) bout £30-£40 IIRC

pocket wizards bout £200 per pair IIRC

Pocket wizards are the dogs danglies, followed by sky ports then ebay triggers.

unless you want ettl, in which case the canon et2 is the only option i know of and thats bout £150IIRC

prices are for one trigger and one reciever(y)

I'm just looking at all these options, and they all seem very expensive.

Would it not be easier to buy a 430EX for about £150
And then use the 580EX as a master and the 430EX as a slave off-camera
That way you also get another flash if need be, and it's about the same price as the transitter anyway.

Well that ain't a bad idea J4mie but if I buy another flash I will have to donate a testicle.

Was looking for a reasonably cheap solution as it won't get a great deal of use but when I do use it I need it to be reliable. Will probably use the flash manually and have it on full blast anyway.

:LOL: Thanks.
But all the other options are around the price of a 430EX anyway, so if u did have to get one, i'd much prefer to have another flash :LOL:

Take care with that one. The 580EX Mk1 does not have a PC port for a radio trigger!

I've had mine modified to add a port and it's not difficult but I'd hate you to pay £200+ for triggers that won't plug in.

Just a note about the Pocket Wizards, according to a seminar I saw at Focus the next version (coming to Europe SOON) will be able to use ETTL.

Still will be cheaper to get the 430EX

Yep!

That's what I've done, quick and easy and I did put a post on here with pics.:)

As for the new PW's they have not got permission for the radio frequencies for Europe yet and it could easily be the wrong side of May before we see them. Bit of a "how long is a bit of string" on that one ATMo.

Skyports seem to be a popular option, certainly much cheaper than Pocket Wizards.....although after a while you do get used to only having one kidney :LOL:

Now where is Cherryrig???
Before he comes, I'll recommend a Cactus V2s set from gadget insanity.

Just mod the trigger with internal antenna.

Check ebay for 301 triggers

I have a set, 1trigger, 3recievers can be had for £40-50 delivered from China.

Good range, pretty sturdy by most accounts, and have built in switchable Optical or wireless sensor, will work with the vast majority of Hotshoe flashes. Never had a mis-fire due to interference or had one not fire, only tested within about 10-15m range though.

Only downside i can see with them is they dont have Pc ports built in.

Check ebay for 301 triggers

I have a set, 1trigger, 3recievers can be had for £40-50 delivered from China.

Good range, pretty sturdy by most accounts, and have built in switchable Optical or wireless sensor, will work with the vast majority of Hotshoe flashes. Never had a mis-fire due to interference or had one not fire, only tested within about 10-15m range though.

Only downside i can see with them is they dont have Pc ports built in.

How do you set the RF channel on these (the advert says 4 channels available in W mode)? I like the way 'TEST' is printed 'TSET' on the receiver ;) Aaah, think I see dip switches on another advert now.

My only worry (well ok, one of my worries) is the frequency of these... I'm sure it is not meant for UK use, same frequency as Cactus V2s?

I got a set of catus triggers from Gadget Infinity for twenty something quid and they work fine on my 550EX. If you just want to play with off camera falsh, then you couldn't go wrong for that money.

Back