Wireless usb adapter

What's it for? PC? Laptop?

For a PC your best bet is to buy a proper PCI wifi card with an external aerial.

For a laptop i'd seriously consider a PCMCIA card wifi adaptor, because I feel that using up USB ports for something that can use otherwise unwanted PCMCIA slots is real waste.

Last edited:
Not used the micro type like that but at the moment I'm using a Netgear wifi adapter on a desktop. Was going to get a PCI card but had the usb laying in a draw so used that instead. Works fine, good signal. Think it was about £10 off ebay.

Sister in Law uses a netgear one which is a lot bigger and work fine.

I use the usb wifi dongle that virginmedia supply.
Basically similar in size to the netgear variants above and it works like a charm.
Plug and play stuff!

What's it for? PC? Laptop?

For a PC your best bet is to buy a proper PCI wifi card with an external aerial.

For a laptop i'd seriously consider a PCMCIA card wifi adaptor, because I feel that using up USB ports for something that can use otherwise unwanted PCMCIA slots is real waste.

These days everything uses USB, I personally would go for the PCI card option, they're not expensive, but they might help save you having to buy a USB hub in future, youd just be using an unused connector inside the the PC instead of a USB port. Great thing with external aerials is they can be replaced with bigger ones if the signal quality is poor.

I'm using a similar dongle and just as small and it works fine up to 5-10 feet with my router (not a very powerful one).

Also works fine on my netbook and is so small almost impossible to accidentally damage it.

Back