Wireless Wifi Extender Recommendation ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Just upgraded my broadband to fiber and I want to extend the wifi to a dead spot in the house

Anyone recommend a wifi extender that wont cost a fortune.

I have seen a few for under £20 with some being recommended on review sites with glowing reports then slated on other sites so VERY confusing

I have seen the Details about the TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300MBPS - I have seen it for £15

have you tried moving the telephone socket to a more central part of the house and having the router plugged in there instead there

Last edited:
If it's fibre you will need the master socket moved.

As for an extender, I use one from netgear, not cheap at £70 and better than nothing but only just, a bit like me says the wife ;)

:D

Yeah I think it will be a wifi extender of some sort - just not sure which

I have two of them, one in the house and one in the office.......work perfectly and very easy to set up

I use powerplugs but make sure you get the +600Mbps versions as to 500 version only have a 10/100 port not a gigabit port. I can transfer to my nas at about 28MB/s wifi and 50MB/s wired. My system is slow so I don't know if it will go faster with a better PC

Let us know how you get on John, do you have to put the extender by the router, or near where you want to extend the signal to, my router is in the living room and the laptop picks up the signal almost anywhere in the house, but my PC/printer/scanner is in my old dark room which is in the garage, so I'm wondering where to place the extender when I get one, like yours depending on how you get on.
Cheers,
Ken

Let us know how you get on John, do you have to put the extender by the router, or near where you want to extend the signal to, my router is in the living room and the laptop picks up the signal almost anywhere in the house, but my PC/printer/scanner is in my old dark room which is in the garage, so I'm wondering where to place the extender when I get one, like yours depending on how you get on.
Cheers,
Ken
They recommend you place the extender equidistant between your router and the wireless device (obviously in range of your rota :))

Cheers,
Ken

Yeah no problem will do but from what I have read I think Buck is right you place it somewhere between router and area you want signal

Cheers,
Ken

OK I have the extender and with a little messing around I have put it in the living room in a plug behind the couch. I wanted it to stream my wifi to my TV (smart TV) and my playstation and before I could get around 0.5 now I get around 6 so happy with that

Here is a rough plan of my setup

extender.jpg

My wifi is 37 mbps at the router and I get approx 6 in Room B where before I got around 0.5

Back